A cyber attack on electricity generating stations in Israel

[correlate]

Level 18
Thread author
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019
A general blackout of electricity in more than half of Israel and the city of Jerusalem last midnight ....
A group affiliated with the cyber army of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard quickly published a poster in Hebrew (second picture) in which it claims the cyber attack on Israeli power stations.
View attachment 248218View attachment 248219

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Not so sure about the veracity of this report. I live in Jerusalem and noticed no blackout, nor did I see this incident mentioned in the local news...
I can believe that some Iranian hackers want to claim the dubious honor of damaging the Israeli infrastructure, but I don't believe they succeeded.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Even I saw others from Jerusalem reported they didn't see or noticed anything. Still not impossible in other parts of Israel if also considering the previous official report from this year.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Even I saw others from Jerusalem reported they didn't see or noticed anything. Still not impossible in other parts of Israel if also considering the previous official report from this year.
Believe me, if Iranian hackers put out the electricity in some parts of Israel, even for a very short time, it would be in the headlines. Everything Iran-related gets high-profile media coverage here.

Okay, my local news site just picked up on the story. There were indeed blackouts for about 40 minutes in various parts of the country, and even in some parts of Jerusalem. However, the electric company says it has nothing to do with a cyber attack, but who knows. Maybe it's true.

Last edited:

[correlate]

Level 18
Thread author
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019
First attack 'was against the desalination plants inside Israel,' Rahim Mahdavipour claims

An Iranian Islamic scholar said in a recent sermon that Iran’s cyber force carried out two attacks against Israel this year, the recent one successfully targeting power plants in the Jewish state.

In a video translated to English by the Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI) and released Wednesday, scholar Rahim Mahdavipour claimed that “Islamic Iran, as the primary and central headquarters of the resistance front, has unique assets and unique winning cards, thank God.

“The cyber force of this central headquarters of the resistance front -- that is, Islamic Iran -- carried out two extraordinary attacks this year,” he continued.

Reactions: shmu26 and upnorth

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
It could be they annoyed part of the population for a couple hours in the middle of the night, but that's about it. It's not uncommon in Israel to experience power outages so it's hard to know the cause for sure. I don't place total faith in anyone's news -- not the Israeli news and surely not the Iranian news.

[correlate]

Level 18
Thread author
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019
It could be they annoyed part of the population for a couple hours in the middle of the night, but that's about it. It's not uncommon in Israel to experience power outages so it's hard to know the cause for sure. I don't place total faith in anyone's news -- not the Israeli news and surely not the Iranian news.
This site is Israeli
i24 News

Reactions: shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
This site is Israeli
i24 News
Right. Good point. But the part that was quoted is just repeating what the Iranians say. I believe they said it, but I am not convinced that their claims are based in fact.

Reactions: [correlate]

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.