BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Is how people tend to get infected ^

Go through the proper channels if any of you wanna test it, Microsoft Edge Insider
Nah, this file should be safe, as lot of forums and blogs tested the new Edge installed from this file. I've noted it for educational purposes, as paradoxical as it could be.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
Chrome is like a factory made product, easy to make, cheap, can be made quickly; making it easily available and the result more people use it.
Firefox is like a hand made product, takes time to make, low on volumes and that leads to less number of users. But a better product which is much closer to the users and will always have its own niche place.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
...But don't forget Google is an ad company, 85% of their revenue comes from ads and by using Chrome, users are letting google know what they do on the web...
Take a look at Google Chrome's privacy policy; it's written so everyone can understand it, take a few minutes to read it. ;)

Google doesn't collect the URLs you visit. They may collect the what you type in address bar to show you suggestions, but you can easily change default search engine from Google to something else. Google can also collect crash reports, you can disable that in settings too.

A lot of data sending, if not all, can easily be turned off in Chrome's settings. The saying that Google Chrome collects everything is a myth.
Currently Firefox is very good actually, as fast as Chrome except on most Google's sites. A Microsoft engineer said few months ago with proof that Google intentionally slows down YouTube on other browsers.
Even Google Earth, it's been two years I think Google released the new Google Earth web version and few months later they teased with a screenshot that Firefox support is coming soon, 1.5 years has passed since that announcement and still no news of Google Earth on Firefox.
There are many cases like this where Google does evil things.
That's why I support Firefox, a non-profit organization trying their best to fight against Google's monopoly.
All Google services works fast on all of my PCs and in all web browsers. YouTube is the exception, it works very slow even on Chrome. That's why I really hate the new design.

I'd, honestly, like to use Firefox, but its font rendering shows me blurry font. I tried everything suggested on the web, never managed to fix the problem. That's one of the reasons why is Chrome my main browser. Until they fix that weird font rendering, Firefox is my secondary web browser.
Even Google Earth, it's been two years I think Google released the new Google Earth web version and few months later they teased with a screenshot that Firefox support is coming soon, 1.5 years has passed since that announcement and still no news of Google Earth on Firefox.
There are many cases like this where Google does evil things.
That's why I support Firefox, a non-profit organization trying their best to fight against Google's monopoly.
Firefox shows me lower score on HTML5 Test than Chrome, maybe that could be the reason why Google Earth isn't available for Firefox.
If you run the Setup.exe file that's included, the browser will install.

Note that if you install this app, you're doing it at your own risk. Obviously, it's coming from a third-party, so you should always be skeptical of executable files from untrusted sources.
I'm waiting for Windows Sandbox to come to run this. :cool:

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I'd like a browser where I have lots of control over the UI (like adding an add-on/status bar at the bottom and a vertical tool bar on one of the sides), lots of customization for key commands, mouse gestures, and more (like dragging a tab to the bookmarks toolbar, adding a search command in the address bar), running older add-ons like Flashgot, DownthemAll, and so on.

If this browser can do all of that and more, then I'll give it a shot.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I'm in no hurry to use it. I can wait for proper stable release. I hope they get native dark mode in Edge soon which Chrome got recently. I also hope their pdf and epub reader is included :)

Agreed! I won't even use Edge until they include a dark version. And I hope the released version Edge is not too "Chromish" looking in every aspect as I really like Edge's current UI, which works well for my browsing style. (I must be one a very small minority!) I don't like a bookmarks bar but bookmarks are easily available with Edge's simple fly-out window. Chromium browsers all require more clicking to use without it.

And finally, I appreciate the many valid and differing opinions expressed in this thread. I think the jury will be out for awhile until the verdict on "browser wars" is in. And a pleasant and civil thread it's been. How nice! (y)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I enjoyed the old Firefox more, back when you could add all sorts of funky add-ons, and mod things more easily. I could display the Hebrew date at the bottom of the browser window, for instance. But the security risk was too great, so they were right to tighten it up. However, that made it more similar to Chrome, and it lost some of its appeal. It became like a wannabe Chrome, in a certain sense.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I didn't like old Firefox. Sure it had a lot of powerful customization options but its speed was so much behind Chrome. Now its fast and fluid. Even better than Chrome when it comes to fluidity. I'm hoping they also bring dark mode and PiP support soon. PiP more like Yandex rather than Chrome's basic one.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I didn't like old Firefox. Sure it had a lot of powerful customization options but its speed was so much behind Chrome. Now its fast and fluid. Even better than Chrome when it comes to fluidity. I'm hoping they also bring dark mode and PiP support soon. PiP more like Yandex rather than Chrome's basic one.
Me neither. Firefox until Quantum came out was very slow. If I was loading heavy website, whole browser would freeze and I'd get a "famous" message not responding. Not to mention cold start, it was whole mess. I wouldn't be surprised if it was behaving like that on slow and old PC, but that was happening on all of PCs I got my hands on with Firefox installed; including my PCs at home with Quad Core CPUs and 8 GB of RAM.

On the other hand, I've never got not responding message with Firefox Quantum; it's fast as well. That's why I like it. :)

L

Local Host

I'd like a browser where I have lots of control over the UI (like adding an add-on/status bar at the bottom and a vertical tool bar on one of the sides), lots of customization for key commands, mouse gestures, and more (like dragging a tab to the bookmarks toolbar, adding a search command in the address bar), running older add-ons like Flashgot, DownthemAll, and so on.

If this browser can do all of that and more, then I'll give it a shot.
You looking for Vivaldi then.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
The saying that Google Chrome collects everything is a myth.
It's about comfort too. Privacy concerned people would never prefer Chrome over Firefox. Even Tor Browser is based in Firefox of course. Chrome has some api limitations probably while blocking ads too. The developer uBlock Origin said so. Chrome might also make changes to the api that adblockers can access. The announcement backfired and saw many users already switched to Firefox for that reason.
but you can easily change default search engine from Google to something else.
This is one probably not as easy as it sounds on Chrome. On Firefox I can use any of mycroftproject's search plugins, there's even an addon to basically set any site you want as your search engine.
All Google services works fast on all of my PCs and in all web browsers. YouTube is the exception, it works very slow even on Chrome.
But it's much faster on Chrome than in Firefox. Google promised to fix this problem this year but not sure when.
I'd, honestly, like to use Firefox, but its font rendering shows me blurry font. I tried everything suggested on the web, never managed to fix the problem. That's one of the reasons why is Chrome my main browser. Until they fix that weird font rendering, Firefox is my secondary web browser.
Actually in my case it's totally the opposite. I don't like Chrome's sharp texts. Difficult for my eyes while Firefox's font is much easier on the eyes. On my Windows 10, ClearType is turned on by default which makes the text better in my experience. You can try toggling it on or off.
Chrome has/had a Image rendering bug too. Images specially while full screened looked a lot blurry on Chrome but sharp, clear and accurate on Firefox. It's actually a 7-8 year old Chrome bug. I checked it in the middle of last year and it was still the problem. I don't know if it has been fixed now. After pointing this out to two of my friends who uses Flickr a lot, they started using Firefox just to browse Flickr.
Firefox shows me lower score on HTML5 Test than Chrome, maybe that could be the reason why Google Earth isn't available for Firefox.
I doubt it because they tweeted the screenshot of Google earth running in Firefox back in October 2017 if I'm not mistaken. So, surely it's something else.
Anyway, browsers, privacy these are personal choices. I happen to be more comfortable with Firefox :giggle:

Reactions: roger_m

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Agreed! I won't even use Edge until they include a dark version. And I hope the released version Edge is not too "Chromish" looking in every aspect as I really like Edge's current UI, which works well for my browsing style. (I must be one a very small minority!) I don't like a bookmarks bar but bookmarks are easily available with Edge's simple fly-out window. Chromium browsers all require more clicking to use without it.

And finally, I appreciate the many valid and differing opinions expressed in this thread. I think the jury will be out for awhile until the verdict on "browser wars" is in. And a pleasant and civil thread it's been. How nice! (y)
Don't know about the new version but the current Edge has had a dark theme for quite a while.

Reactions: plat and oldschool

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
It's prettier in some ways and uglier in others. Good for Microsoft that they are doing this. Maybe their planned coup will succeed simply because people will think that they are actually using Chrome.

• HaHa
Reactions: oldschool and plat

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Little off topic but this is the only thing Microsoft can do to stay in the game. They tried to create what Google already created, an ecosystem that fits every device. Rapid increase of mobile devices in last decade changed the rules of the game and, although Microsoft tried to compete, they had lost the battle when they abbandoned mobile business. Windows Mobile was a great idea but Microsoft was just not persistent enough due to lack of apps and extensions for their systems and support overall.
Google on the other hand took a good Linux base and made Android OS, took Chromium and made Chrome Browser and mix some ingredients and made Chromebooks. All connected with the same apps that behaves the same for all platforms.
IMO Internet Explorer was just better than Edge if Microsoft continued to improve it. Now they need to take someone else recipe to make a good cookie...

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.