A free antivirus for Windows Server 2008 as Desktop OS

T

TheSuperGeek

Thread author
Hello,
I have a question about something :
I have a desktop PC with windows Server 2008 RC2 installed and I want to add an antivirus on it.
This PC is for home use and not as a real server but as a desktop workstation.
Thanks.

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
Hi.
I think you can consider the business/education edition of avast.
Avast for Education | Free antivirus software for academic/school use
Avast for Business | First-ever free cloud business security

They provide free lifetime licenses with no limitation on seats.
They can be installed on operation systems for servers, including:
  • Microsoft Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2 (any edition with the latest Service Pack, 32-bit or 64-bit, incl. Small Business Server, except Server Core)
I have not tried it. But I have heard that, different from the free version for home users, the business/education version has no ads.
The only problem is that it does not have a firewall.
In addition, some users complain that their settings are easily lost. I think it will not be a big issue if you like the default settings.

Secondmineboy

Level 26
Verified
May 25, 2014
One thing to ad: On Avast Business you can Spam filter and Firewall for 2 bucks a month per device i think, yes it has no ads as far as i know :)

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Another one you can use is Forticlient. It is actually a business antivirus, but it has a free version for home use. The product data sheet says that it supports your OS, so it can also be a possible candidate in your case. It's detection is maybe slightly less than Avira or Avast (but of course still very good), but the web blocker is the best I came across in testing a lot of av's and is extremely good.

T

TheSuperGeek

Thread author
@kev216: do you know what is the VPN included in Forticlient ? It's a bit strange :/

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
AFAIK you can only use the VPN if you are using a fortinet router and thus it is not important in the free suite if you don't have one. So the VPN is not used by default. I don't know more about it, since I haven't tried the VPN yet, I just use the AV-part of the product on my old pc.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well since you mentioned as home usage then any common free AV which normally recommend.

Avira Free/AVG Free/ Qihoo 360 IS or TS/ or Comodo Internet Security [choose one]

Cause if intended for business then make consider the lengthy process to conduct the connection of server for antivirus business edition.

T

TheSuperGeek

Thread author
@jamescv7 : It's home usage but I thinks most of free common AV aren't compatible with Windows Server 2008 R2...
What do you think ? Have you go some tips ?
Thanks.

Reactions: Kuttz

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@TheSuperGeek : My mistake, the problem for here is that Windows Server 2008 is more on business scale hence free AV's are considered to be as 'non profit' and for 'home based only'.

Numerous AV you may consider for here like Trend Micro Offline Scan, ESET Endpoint Antivirus and many in related others.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.