A Google program can pass as a human on the phone. Should it be required to tell people it’s a machine?

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Google's artificial-intelligence assistant sounds almost exactly like a human when it calls the salon to book a woman's hair appointment. It responds to questions, negotiates timing and thanks the receptionist for her help. It even says "um" and "mm-hmm."

What it doesn't say, however, is that it's a machine — and the receptionist doesn't show any sign that she can tell.

Google's unveiling on Tuesday of Duplex — an automated voice assistant that can book restaurant reservations, check opening hours and accomplish other tasks over the phone — has thrown a spotlight on how advanced AI can now carry on conversations that are so lifelike that even a human listener can be fooled.

The technology, debuted at Google's I/O developer conference, could be a huge convenience for anyone who hates picking up the phone. But it is also raising some thorny questions about the ethics of using a machine to copy a person's voice, carry out commands - and potentially deceive the unsuspecting listener on the other side.

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
I would say that yes, it should have to tell you that it is not a real person but in the 2nd scenario that @upnorth linked to, i doubt it would matter anyway as the member of staff couldn't really understand the "caller" regardless of whether it was human or AI and would have been even more confused :p

If i for instance received/made a call to AI then hell yes, i want to know. AFAIK it's illegal to impersonate another person so i'm guessing that Google and whoever else adopts this technology would need to have some kind of disclosure in place to carry this off. I know technology is advancing and one day, this will probably be the done thing but for now i will call up myself and use the voice and brain that i have. No wonder people can't communicate with each other anymore, one day there will be nations all over the world who don't ever interact with human beings ............ that is not good.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
OK, this is a wonderful thing, Uber's driver less car was also a wonderful thing, it malfunctioned.
You want to take your GF to a romantic dinner, you ask your digital assistant to book a table for two in a busy night. It does that flawlessly and inform you. You take your GF to the restaurant and you find that only one seat has been booked. The rest is left to your imagination....:X3:

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
The future scenarios may be quite confused if the roadmap is the current one.

Today, AI is based on various forms of induction and deduction processes.
The concept of neural network has further expanded the spectrum of these processes, but has not altered the nature.
But one thing is missing in AI algorithms in my opinion: the abduction.
The abduction, then the passage from consequent to antecedent, is the process necessary for human beings to formulate a hypothesis about a fact never encountered before, so totally changing the framework of the hypothetical rule necessary to explain the fact.

In this case, it wouldn't be necessary to explain that I'm talking with a ... washing machine :p

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.