A Hidden Security Threat: Beware the Office Multifunction Printer

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
Cybercriminals are always looking for easy ways to break into your network, whether at work or at home. In a talk at this summer's DefCon 19 conference, security researcher Deral Heiland demonstrated various ways to compromise Internet-ready consumer-grade multifunction printers. These include printers that can scan to a file, scan to email, and fax documents, and the vulnerabilities he found are similar across all vendors.

read more

D

Deleted member 178

when i need to print something i go to the internet shop near, ink is to expensive...

D

Deleted member 178

i just need to cross the street, one print is around 3 cents.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
We have a multifunction printer connected to our home network, but I've given it Level 2 Content Protection (even though it's not Internet-ready).

win7holic said:
i never use any printer.
win7holic said:
i just go to 2nd floor of my house, then print :D

So you don't use any printer, but you use a printer. That makes perfect sense. :wizard: and 3 cents = $0.03

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
Guys, stop flooding threads with pointless replies...

I remember reading an article about a similar problem a while back. Seems just about anything is open to security breach these days :dodgy:

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
sorry tomo.
we just telling something. it's forum.
jack no problem with it.
:)

@earth: yes. i never use is mean i don't have it.
but use it when important thing (use my dad printer)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I'm using printer which is exclusively use for home and I turn off the printer sharing since I'm not using also.

So using printer sharing is only necessarily if use during office.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.