Advice Request A list of Open Source security software for Windows

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheSuperGeek

Thread author
Hello,
I'm looking for Windows opensource securtity softwares.
All domain applied (Antiviruses, firewall, babckups,....)
Do you know one ? Just list it !

I know ClamWin (ClamAV for windows) and Clamsentinel.
I use ublock origin.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TheSuperGeek

Thread author
Thanks, but my problem is the following : how to secure a Windows PC with opensources software ?

Dani Santos

From Xvirus
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jun 3, 2014
The most famous is clam av. I don't know if there any other that are still being developed.

Reactions: TheSuperGeek
T

TheSuperGeek

Thread author
why try to secure a closed source os with opensource software.?
With linux yes it would make sense but not with windows.
I use linux for every day uses, but sometimes I need windows. So I have windows installed... But I prefer FOSS software, even on windows !

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Thanks, but my problem is the following : how to secure a Windows PC with opensources software ?
You will not find many good O/S Antivirus for Windows, but there is a lot of other security tools.

What about a standard user account instead of administrator?

dJim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
You will not find many good O/S Antivirus for Windows, but there is a lot of other security tools.

What about a standard user account instead of administrator?
why u guys push so much abouth use standard user?.. there alot of hacks, " tricks" etc.. to make something called " scalable" permisions.. where u can get admin privileges from standard.. anyway most of sites who got list look like clones.. i use FileHorse.com / Free Software Download for Windows this days give a try mate.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
No mention if using Home or Pro version of the OS, but a standard user will work on both and without Group Policy.

You should share your knowledge of these tricks.

T

TheSuperGeek

Thread author
No mention if using Home or Pro version of the OS, but a standard user will work on both and without Group Policy.
I'm using 7 home premium... that's sad.

What is the rationale behind using only open source ?
Only OpenSource is that I can verify if the software don't eat my privacy (not like google chrome). I don't know who trust about privacy....

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Afaik there are apart from Clamwin, no other open-source AV's, or at least not ones that are still developed. And mostly those open sources ones use the Clam engine, so whatever you take, they all have plus minus the same components to protect you since getting an thirth-party engine costs much.

Clamwin doens't have real-time protection, so it is not usable as a standalone program to protect you (only if you use it as a second-opinion scanner). However you can install Clamsentinel toghether with Clamwin. This is a little kind of 'addon' to Clamwin and is open source too. It will make Clamwin a real-time AV and on top of that it adds a kind of a HIPS module to it. The downside is that there are quite a lot of fp's with clamsentinel. And of course, this combo will not give you the same amount of protection as full Paid Av suites.
Speaking about firewalls and backup tools, I don't know or have tested much open source programs that does that, but if you look at sourceforge, you'll certainly find some tools.

Reactions: frogboy
H

hjlbx

Thread author
Only OpenSource is that I can verify if the software don't eat my privacy (not like google chrome). I don't know who trust about privacy....

Open Source is no guarantee of safety nor privacy. In the vase majority of cases, at least some anonymous user data is collected.

The issue is not that vendors will collect your data and use it in a malicious or under-handed manner.

The real issue is that malicious softs can grab the data collected, centralized, stored and transmitted by the OS and applications.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Here is a very old article (from 2010) which lists lots of security related open-source software. I don't know if much of those softwares mentioned there are still in development though, so be careful if you try them.

Reactions: TheSuperGeek
T

TheSuperGeek

Thread author
Open Source is no guarantee of safety nor privacy. In the vase majority of cases, at least some anonymous user data is collected.

The issue is not that vendors will collect your data and use it in a malicious or under-handed manner.

The real issue is that malicious softs can grab the data collected, centralized, stored and transmitted by the OS and applications.
Yes but I don't want that a security software collect personal data for making money (like google) !

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.