CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
chrome_2018-07-13_12-35-22.png

Chrome is getting a major redesign soon, and this week new changes have started to land in the Chrome's nightly "Canary" build. Google is launching a new version of Material Design across its products, called the "Google Material Theme," and after debuting in Android P and Gmail.com, it's starting to roll out across other Google's major products. On Chrome, this means major changes to the tab and address bar. Remember, this is just a nightly build, so things could change before the stable release. But these changes line up well with previous Chrome redesign documents.

Further Reading
Google Chrome’s major redesign shows a lighter, rounder UI
The first thing you'll notice is the tab bar. Tabs now have a rectangular shape with rounded corners instead of the trapezoidal shape of the current design. Tab separation has also undergone a lot of changes. With a single tab open, you won't see a distinct tab shape at all. The current tab is always white, and in single-tab mode, the background of the tab bar is white too so everything blends together. I like the general idea here: if you aren't using multiple tabs, there's no need to show all the tab-separation cruft.

With multiple tabs open, the tab background switches to a light grey and background tabs only get vertical separators rather than distinct tab shapes. Next to the tab bar is a big plus button for adding tabs, which is considerably more obvious than Chrome's current unlabeled button. I haven't gotten to try the Mac version (these are all Windows screenshots), but according to the design docs, the new tab button will be on the left side for Macs eventually.

The address bar section gets some tweaking, too. The address bar is round now, just like on Android. The autocomplete drop down is now a box, instead of a bar that spans the width of the window. To the left of the address bar is a new account button for Chrome Sync, which now shows your Google profile picture instead of the name of the account.

All the general New Material Design motifs are here: everything is white and round, and there's a bit more whitespace in things like the tab bar and autocomplete box. Again, everything is subject to change, but for now this is another step on the road to a stable design.

More Screenshots: A look at Chrome’s new tab design

Yellowing

Level 5
Verified
Jun 7, 2018
But I need those 7 pixels! :ROFLMAO:
Off: Does anyone know how to get the dark search bar in non-inkognito windows? Themes can't blacken it.

Aerdian

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2018
Looks so much better! Anxious for this to come in the stable release :) I've never liked the look of Chrome. I also make a lot of Chrome themes, so I'm excited to see how they'll look with the new design.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.