Not open for further replies.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
source (techspot.com): A major iOS bug is crashing devices and blocking access to messaging apps

Just days after we reported on Apple's desire to delay iOS updates in the interest of shipping out a more stable, bug-free experience for their users, a major new software bug has already been discovered.

As initially reported by Mobile World, the bug in question occurs when a user running iOS 11.2.5 receives a message containing a specific Indian language character.

Once the problematic message has been received, iOS will crash and any attempts to re-open the app containing the message will typically be met with failure. Through their own testing, The Verge discovered other apps are also affected by this bug including Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, Outlook and Gmail.

This bug may not be a problem for most users at the moment but it does carry certain risks if Apple fails to patch it in a timely manner. For example, some bad actors could send emails containing the character in question to iOS users with the intent of crashing their device.

D

Deleted member 65228

I saw this one going around the InfoSec community yesterday, and this isn't the first time this has happened with iOS although if I recall similar has happened with Google Chrome/Android before?

I wonder how many more times this will happen. It's a pretty nasty bug because it can become intrusive to the performance of people who have work to do. What if important notes are left on their phone applications but now they cannot access it, nor re-open the application after the initial crash?

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Apple has had a BAD last few years..

Problems after problems. Work provides us with iOS devices and we all HATE them. Even worse, the old magical 'Your phone is at 65% battery', then an hour later you find your phone off.. What junk. We all use our personal Android rigs and keep telling upper management to STOP buying us iOS trash. but they never listen and keep paying inflated prices for substandard ecosystem.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Apple has had a BAD last few years..

Problems after problems. Work provides us with iOS devices and we all HATE them. Even worse, the old magical 'Your phone is at 65% battery', then an hour later you find your phone off.. What junk. We all use our personal Android rigs and keep telling upper management to STOP buying us iOS trash. but they never listen and keep paying inflated prices for substandard ecosystem.
Only thing Apple iphone is good for, when you are a user who rarely uses the phone since standby times are great on iphone than active time. SOT is worse on iOS than Android or W10M.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Pretty sure this has happened before, I remember a friend sending in a text to me and it immediately crashing my phone and sent it to a boot loop for about 15 mins.

The issue was the iOS trying to show the notification of the text but somehow that causes the phone to crash and sends it on a boot loop, sometimes if you're lucky it ends in 5-10 mins, while for others it bricked their phone and they had to do a fresh install.

There was a pretty easy temporary fix for it though, it was to disable your notifications or mute the contacts trying to send you the code so the message wouldn't trigger the bug, interested to see if it works on this bug as well.

Reactions: Vasudev

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
There is a weird problem where iphones doesn't activate low mode at 20% and always nags the user since android and WP does it automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.