Solved A password is demanded on Startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moorisheagle

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 23, 2014
Moorisheagle It would appear "something" has hijacked my Microsoft account because I am unable to Print Screen and paste the startup page. I believe my Microsoft account is hijacked. Startup page shows my Icon, User Name, "Locked" a window - "Password" is demanded then, I am allowed access to my own PC, which was never password protected.

Reactions: AtlBo and upnorth
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Moorisheagle It would appear "something" has hijacked my Microsoft account because I am unable to Print Screen and paste the startup page. I believe my Microsoft account is hijacked. Startup page shows my Icon, User Name, "Locked" a window - "Password" is demanded then, I am allowed access to my own PC, which was never password protected.

Use another device and go and reset it on the portal using your recovery data.

This is why I advocate only local accounts in non-domain controlled environments. It's pretty likely you practiced poor password hygiene or hit a phishing page. Also it's why 2FA is important.

Upvote 0

Moorisheagle

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 23, 2014
What's 2FA? But my Account does'nt mention my microsoft account email address like it does on my tablet. It's just the computer name. Or am I missing something here?

Reactions: AtlBo
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 65228

Are you saying that you can still login to your system if you enter your password, or the password for your account no longer works and thus you cannot even sign into the system?

Print screen doesn't work for the login screen as far as I am aware anyway.

2FA stands for "Two factor authentication", it's an addition for security with password protection by enforcing another verification method (e.g. codes to be entered, delivered via e-mail/SMS).

Upvote 0

Moorisheagle

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 23, 2014
Use another device and go and reset it on the portal using your recovery data.

This is why I advocate only local accounts in non-domain controlled environments. It's pretty likely you practiced poor password hygiene or hit a phishing page. Also it's why 2FA is important.

Thanks for your help, "Netplwiz" solved the issue, so not really a problem, but I am looking into 2FA.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.