Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
The most powerful should be Kaspersky (the best is subjective); it doesnt have any weakness in this protection arsenal.

Strong signatures, very good heuristics, AMSI support, competent and fast cloud protection, best in class emulator and behavior blocker, strong modules like application control and trusted application mode.

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
Comodo Internet security, because of its advanced sandbox, HIPS, powerful firewall and the ability to instantly terminate all connections made from and to your computer at the click of a button, handy incase of a malware attack and running programs you dont recognize, all of this for free.

Last edited:

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
I would probably pick either Kaspersky or a Symantec product (NIS or SEP). Both have the widest range of kitchen sink features.

With that said, whether or not everyone wants one of these "powerful" AVs is another question. I personally find some of these features a bit too intrusive. If you run unusual software or run very new builds of things (like Chrome betas or Windows Insider builds) it dramatically increases the chance that it will cause compatibility issues compared to a more boring AV that just has a realtime scanner and behavior blocker.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Out of the box configuration: Kaspersky easily
With tweaks: All major vendor AVs

My honest opinion: The best AV is Windows Update. I know we complain but the 6 month upgrade cycle, security updates and automatic driver updates are killing the malware industry and AV industry.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
In your opinion, which is the most powerful antivirus ever?
Here is one not especially useful, but probably a true answer to your question.
The most powerful AV ever is probably Comodo Internet Security with auto-sandbox set to block anything unsafe + Paranoid HIPS + deleted all trusted vendors + disabled cloud lookup + highly tweaked Firewall + Sponsors set to Untrusted. It will be also the most unusable solution I know.:(
The problem is to find the security setup that is well balanced between protection and usability. This can be done with CIS and other well known AVs. But, such a balance can be different for many people so you will get probably several answers.

My opinion is close to @DeepWeb post.(y):giggle:

Last edited:

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
On a more serious face of the post, I believe Kaspersky would be the most powerful antivirus.

In my honest, humble, really sexy opinion, I think it offers the perfect combination on stability, anti-execution of files, databases of malware, "machine learning", and rule-based modules. With a well-configured KIS edition, regular malware should have to surpass database detection (static), Kaspersky Security Network (strong), System Watcher, Application Control (should be really clever to outsmart a default-deny set up Application Control) and finally outsmart self-protection and priority boot of firewall and antivirus module to actually gain access to memory or early boot infections. Wether possible, I never saw malware outcome KIS or KTS when Application Control and general settings are configured on a safe way (talking about version 2018 or newer).

I have tried hardening every antivirus possible (ESET, Norton, Avast, WD), but I've seen them fail a lot of times (doesn't mean they're useless, just not fool-proof); but I have really had hard times trying to replicate it on KIS2020 with my configuration posted here in the forums.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
The most powerful should be Kaspersky (the best is subjective); it doesnt have any weakness in this protection arsenal.

Strong signatures, very good heuristics, AMSI support, competent and fast cloud protection, best in class emulator and behavior blocker, strong modules like application control and trusted application mode.
what is AMSI ??

My opinion Kaspersky, Norton, Mcafee and the most powerful is common sense. Do not enter rare places
why Mcafee ??

i think Emsisoft , kaspersky and Norton are the best

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
what is AMSI ??

Purpose
The Windows Antimalware Scan Interface (AMSI) is a versatile interface standard that allows your applications and services to integrate with any antimalware product that's present on a machine. AMSI provides enhanced malware protection for your end-users and their data, applications, and workloads.

AMSI is agnostic of antimalware vendor; it's designed to allow for the most common malware scanning and protection techniques provided by today's antimalware products that can be integrated into applications. It supports a calling structure allowing for file and memory or stream scanning, content source URL/IP reputation checks, and other techniques.

AMSI also supports the notion of a session so that antimalware vendors can correlate different scan requests. For instance, the different fragments of a malicious payload can be associated to reach a more informed decision, which would be much harder to reach just by looking at those fragments in isolation.

Aggravatorx

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 30, 2013
Im going to say most will protect the user and most security suites went away from just protecting the user now they try
to sale you everything most of them should be called security stores vpn, cleaner optimizer password management file guard
ect. and make them so hefty of installs so your really not left with alot that are good and small on protecting the user windows defender
eset and common knowledge for now i choose eset

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.