Guide | How To Access SkyDrive on Windows 8.1 for Local Accounts

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Microsoft integrated its SkyDrive file synchronization and hosting service into the Window 8.1 operating system in a way that it is enabled automatically for users signing in to the system with a Microsoft Account.

Local account users on the other hand -- those users who prefer to not use a Microsoft Account -- cannot use the implementation and are also not allowed to make use of the official SkyDrive application as it simply won't install on Windows 8.1.

Guide: See Tutorial on How to access SkyDrive on Windows 8.1

Additional Notes

I found this Tutorial very useful for accessing my other Microsoft account with 25GB SkyDrive storage space, that I cannot currently view from the File Explorer / SkyDrive folders. It has saved me the hassle of creating a new user account within Windows 8.1.

There are some benefits of using this method, as follows:

Advantage
+ Add files and folders without receiving an error of uploading an empty folder, example, when uploading an Artist with only an Album folder inside.
Disadvantage:
- Access to view or transfer files may be slow.

Deleting files/folders:
File Explorer will warn you that the deletion is a permanent action, which is partially true as they're not recoverable from your Computer's HDD. However, if you can access the Recycle Bin from your web browser, you may be able to restore the data.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.