Not open for further replies.

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I'm not gonna go into details because I haven't tried it myself, but we know Acronis as a brand and I just wanted to let you guys know they offer something worth checking out.

It seems to have dual protection, active one based on behavior and secondary as active backup system.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
@RejZoR I use Acronis True Image 2018 with the latest build that has anti ransomware protection for images. This sounds like a promising product! I will be looking into this free tool as well! Nice find! I got a formal announcement from them the other day about this product - I need to dig through my emails to find it again. Could be quite promising.

Has anyone here had a chance to use it yet?

~Brian

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Yes, but it did not want to backup to the cloud. It also did not give an error code, just a fail. Possibly it relies on remote services or connections which are all blocked by GPO. When it would have given an error code which gave a clue on what to enable, I would have tried to get it working. But I don't want to spend time searching in the dark.

upload_2018-1-27_23-58-59.png

Last edited:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Read about it today at theregister and sounds pretty good but some what discouraging from @Windows_Security initial test.

Quote : " Acronis has released a free, standalone version of its Acronis Ransomware Protection with AI-based Active Protection tech.

It can be used alongside existing backup and antivirus products on Windows systems.

The lightweight (20MB) software runs in the background and is said to monitor system processes in real-time to automatically detect and stop any ransomware attacks. When one is detected, it blocks the malicious process and notifies the user with a pop-up. It also facilitates the instant recovery of affected files.

Acronis says the software uses behavioural heuristics enhanced by machine-learning models, which are generated by analysing hundreds of thousands of malicious and legitimate processes in Acronis's Cloud AI infrastructure.

The models are directly incorporated into the free product; it doesn't need an internet connection to run. We're told it's effective at defeating all ransomware strains, including zero-day attacks that signature-based solutions cannot detect.

Quote : " Ransomware viruses can’t infect your system on Acronis’ watch. Our technology monitors your system in real-time, distinguishing normal activities from suspicious ones like unauthorized encryption. By recognizing bad behavior, it spots ransomware whether the strain is known or not. "

Bold statements and just talk the talk or actually also walk the walk?

Source : Acronis: Ransomware protection! Get yer free ransomware protection!

Source and download : Acronis Ransomware Protection free

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
It sounds nice, in theory, but I would not trust Acronis in malware protection. I imagine it is basic, unless they licenced some other product under their name.

Reactions: roger_m and upnorth

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I have had it flag Kerish Doctor as potential ransomware,so user still has to double check alerts I guess

Reactions: roger_m

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Hi Dave! I just downloaded and installed KD 2018 (ver 4.65) and received no alerts, either on install or program run (which included scan and repair).

M

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
I assume the antiransomware service is a behavioral blocker. Proobably only the backup has access to cloud storage, so in case malware passes the BB, you still have important data in the cloud. Concept is nice IMO.

probably have something disabled in Group Policy. In 2010 when I changed to Window 7 (from XP) I found on the internet GPO guidelines of SANS and US homeland.to harden Windows 7. I applied most of them. Never ran into trouble and then (after years of doing nothing with some documents) you decide to throw away some old stuff including those two hardeneing guide. It would take hourds to backtarck the problem and get Acronis working (suggestions on what Acronis needs to be enabled are welcome).

Last edited:

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017
I tried to uninstall it! it always failed! if it happens when you try to uninstall it
first, end the actronic protection task from task manager before uninstalling otherwise it will fail!

Reactions: upnorth and shmu26
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.