Not open for further replies.

aragornnnn

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 18, 2016
Source: Acronis True Image 2017 New Generation Receives Gold Self-Protection Award

Acronis True Image 2017 New Generation
received the Gold Self-Protection Award from Anti-Malware Testing Lab, being recognized for its capacity to protect itself and its backups from ransomware (Acronis Active Protection™).

The threat of ransomware (a type of malware that hijacks computer systems and demands ransom) is so great that it became paramount for backup vendors to introduce technology to protect backups from such attacks.

Reliable backup is the only sure way to recover data from ransomware without paying the ransom and subsequently supporting the crime. Because of this, cyber criminals got busy with advancing technology and adopting new techniques to disable data protection software and encrypt backups to prevent easy recovery.

The situation is very similar to what was observed about ten years ago with the advent of computer viruses and other malware. Using similar tactics, malicious malware tried to disable software programs in order to complicate the task of computer clean up.

In their search, Anti-Malware Testing Lab tested seven of the most popular consumer data protection products, suggesting that in the consumer market space users are at much higher risk of losing data because of the ad-hoc nature of running backups the relaxed attitude towards data protection.

Details of test
Anti-Malware Testing Lab conducted a thorough test of the following backup products:
  • Acronis True Image 2017 New Generation 20.0.0.6106
  • Carbonite Home 6.2.16804
  • CrashPlan Free 4.8.0.331
  • EaseUS ToDo Backup Free 10.0.0.0 build 20161212
  • iDrive 6.5.1.22
  • Macrium Reflect Home Edition 6.3 build 1665
  • NovaBackup PC 18.5 build 926
Each product was tested in equal environment against 35 different attacks in the following groups:
  1. Modification/deletion of files
  2. Modification/deletion of registry keys
  3. Process termination
  4. Modification of processes/code
  5. Protection of backup data stored in the cloud
  6. Recovering of backup data from the cloud
Results

1nADEpH.jpg

Acronis True Image 2017 New Generation took first place in being able to withstand 83 percent of the attacks.

vIfxxiq.jpg

Acronis True Image 2017 New Generation received the Gold Self-Protection Award, collecting 29 out of the 35 possible points.

Mail received says"

Free for a limlted time - Upgrade to Acronis true image New Generation a premium level subscription. This inckudes all future upgrades to premium at no addtional cost. Click to download.

The free upgrade is if you already have a valid license purchased within the restrictions set forth below.

For all new license purchases, Next Generation is only available to Premium $79.99 annual subscription license holders.

Free upgrade to Acronis True Image New Generation (Premium Subscription)
Customers who purchased Acronis True Image 2017 subscriptions (Standard) between August 22, 2016 – January 18 2017 are eligible for a free upgrade to Acronis True Image New Generation (Premium Subscription). These Customers will receive a link to the free install inside the product. Customers who purchase Acronis True Image 2017 subscription (Standard) on or after January 18th, 2017, will not receive a free upgrades to Premium. Purchase of Premium is required starting on January 18th, 2017.

Paul123

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 9, 2016
I'm still using Acronis True Image 2013. I do backups by booting from the CD and backing up, and restore the same way. That version seems to do me fine, and I dont use it within Windows (Win 10).

Ive kind of been put off upgrading as a lot of later reviews talk about an overly complicated interface, issues of being able to do dangerous things, and not being able to delete previous backups except via booting up Acronis. As I only do the boot from CD method (and dont use cloud preferring to store on an external drive) are there any advantages that I'd get upgrading? Speed of backup isnt really an issue I have SSDs in my laptop so a backup rarely takes more than about half an hour at most.

Paul123

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 9, 2016
They explained each new module on their blog, if you want to read it it's right here:
Acronis True Image 2017 New Generation Is Now Available! – Acronis :)

Thanks aragornnn, I'll have a look. I must admit I'm not, unlike a lot of people on this site, very knowledgeable on ransomware. Ive been hit about 3 times in my life by it, and never on my current computer. Twice Iv'e been able to simply boot up from the Acronis CD and just restore a disk image and that was enough. But once I remember I had to format the harddrive as I couldn't even get it to boot from the CD. I haven't been hit for quite a few years now, so just wonder, have these things got more dangerous, or is just having a disk image still sufficient protection. Ive always wondered about things like the Bios being flash based, whether that could be compromised.

B

beetal2015

The free upgrade is if you already have a valid license purchased within the restrictions set forth below.

For all new license purchases, Next Generation is only available to Premium $79.99 annual subscription license holders.

Free upgrade to Acronis True Image New Generation (Premium Subscription)
Customers who purchased Acronis True Image 2017 subscriptions (Standard) between August 22, 2016 – January 18 2017 are eligible for a free upgrade to Acronis True Image New Generation (Premium Subscription). These Customers will receive a link to the free install inside the product. Customers who purchase Acronis True Image 2017 subscription (Standard) on or after January 18th, 2017, will not receive a free upgrades to Premium. Purchase of Premium is required starting on January 18th, 2017.
I REGISTERED ATI Cloud subs' 2016 around August 2016 but not remember exact date
How to know if eligible for free upgrade or not ?

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
^^^login into your ACRONIS Account on their website. I think every ACRONIS user has to create an account
on their website before you are able to use ACRONIS software on your PC.... .
In my ACRONIS account i can see when i puchased my licence and when my licence will expire:

... ... ... Nov 13, 2016 – Nov 14, 2017

Yesterday i also received an email from ACRONIS with a free upgrade offer to
Acronis True Image 2017 New Generation premium. I think you can also use the download
button in your ACRONIS Accout to download your brand new free ACRONIS New generation software.
But I don't now exactly..... ....clicking on download links in emails is IMO too/very risky.....

So i will try to download my free version directly from my ACRONIS account....
After clicking on the download button in my ACRONIS accout the next site shows
the link to the latest release of ATI (ACRONIS next generation).

Last edited:

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
... few minute ago i installed Acronis True Image 2017 new generation on one of my laptops: everything worked fine.
The real time protection against ransomware is enabled by default: i disabled it because i don't know if it's compatible
with my AV (F-Secure). If you use the download link in you ACRONIS account then you can also download an separate
iso file (bootable rescue media) and burn it on a DVD.

B

beetal2015

FREE UPGRADE!

Acronis True Image 2017 New Generation is here!
Find your free upgrade links below

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.