Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Black voices in tech: We want change, not just charity

Ever since the death of George Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis police, multiple protests have erupted across the country. They have collectively culminated in one of the biggest civil unrest movements in the modern era, as people take to the streets to denounce police brutality and systemic racism. Not to be left out, several tech companies have recently released statements that appear to be in solidarity with protesters.
But for many Black people in the tech community, the statements don’t carry a lot of weight.

Continue reading

MonSpyder9

Level 2
May 4, 2020
I'm all for inclusivity, but this is a slippery slope. I hope we don't reach a point where people of color get special treatment and are given promotions just to meet some diversity quota, while the actually qualified people are ignored. But hey, I could be called a racist just for bringing this up, so it's best to stay quiet and keep working and improving my skills.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I'm all for inclusivity, but this is a slippery slope. I hope we don't reach a point where people of color get special treatment and are given promotions just to meet some diversity quota, while the actually qualified people are ignored. But hey, I could be called a racist just for bringing this up, so it's best to stay quiet and keep working and improving my skills.

Exactly, like in the EU. EU requires companies to employe the same amount of men and women. So lets say, that there are 2 candidates and a man will have better skills, they will have to hire a woman regardless, to fill the quota. USA had/has a similar problem. In order to appease for the racism in the past, black students were accepted at the university instead of people with better marks, but that act itself fueled racism, even though it was meant as good thing.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Nevermind.
I won't follow this discussion any further because I don't want to be banned for my rather radical views.
We should keep this forums politics free.

Reactions: Dave Russo

Kamer

Level 1
Nov 6, 2019
What I resent about this movement is summarized in this Seinfeld clip. I believe BLM is ahistorical and is not reciprocal
in good faith, for justice to be done.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.