Battle Ad-Aware Free IS (+ free firewall) vs Outpost Free IS vs CIS Free

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocsi

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 26, 2011
Which Free Internet Security Software is better / useful?
a) Ad-Aware Free IS (+ any free firewall)
b) Outpost Free IS
c) CIS Free

ps: New version: Ad-Aware Free Internet Security 9.6.0

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I'd go for Comodo Internet Security since it protects the best, Much lighter than any of the other 2 mentioned suites and doesn't impose any limitations within the software itself.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I would go for CIS because of one it is lighter on resources and has a fairly good detection rate and has a lot of features that come with it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Ad-Aware Free Internet Security - A free Internet Security suite without a Firewall, that makes sense. :dodgy:

Ad-Aware Free and Outpost Free have no chance when competing against one of the top Firewall/Suite software(s). Of course it's down to the users opinion, but 90% will choose Comodo.

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
Ad-Aware Free uses both Vipre and in-house engines, there are some performance issues with it [which Ad-Aware were reportedly working to fix], not to mention the cloud hanging over the practices of their owners [more in this MT thread]. Once revered, it has fallen into obscurity, and although they are trying hard to get their mojo back, you have to opt for Ad-Aware Total Security to be able to use an OEM version of G-DATA [contains Avast, BitDefender and Ad-Aware engines].

Outpost also uses Vipre AM engine, I think, which although VB100-certified is adequate and the "weak link" in this suite of contrasting components. The strength of OSS Free is in its firewall and proactive protection - excellent HIPS that comes pretty close to the prowess of Comodo. Nevermind the rhetoric about this being the first fully functional free security suite, the original release suffered from a number of usability issues, and, dare I say it, borderline disrespectful attitude towards the public - initially you could only update your definitions once a day. Luckily, these have been fixed, but AFAIK the Free still trails way behind the current paid edition, which brought considerable performance and functional improvements.

And there it is - CIS Free. Light, tamed and behaving way more restrained than before, lots of features - Defence+, auto sandbox, cloud-based antivirus and behavior analysis, SecureDNS service... The erratic behavior and statements of the CEO are at times cringe worthy, the company has had its own controversies, but actions speak louder than words, and CIS Free is enough to make you forget the latter.

CIS Free for me.

D

Deleted member 178

cant say better than Nathan. CIS for me too. by the way i heard that Comodo is developpping an Behavior Blocker.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
As far as I can remember Outpost Free and Ad-ware Free are only limited versions of the Pro suite..so they lack some features.I won't get into any details because even the full versions of this suites can compete with CIS.....
For me it's an easy choice : COMODO Internet Security.

ocsi

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 26, 2011
BoXX28 said:
I'd go for Comodo Internet Security since it protects the best, Much lighter than any of the other 2 mentioned suites and doesn't impose any limitations within the software itself.
Me too!:D

ocsi

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 26, 2011
Earth said:
Ad-Aware Free Internet Security - A free Internet Security suite without a Firewall, that makes sense. :dodgy:

Ad-Aware Free and Outpost Free have no chance when competing against one of the top Firewall/Suite software(s). Of course it's down to the users opinion, but 90% will choose Comodo.
Ad-Aware Free and Outpost Free - would be a good solution.:)

ocsi

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 26, 2011
NathanF1 said:
Ad-Aware Free uses both Vipre and in-house engines, there are some performance issues with it [which Ad-Aware were reportedly working to fix], not to mention the cloud hanging over the practices of their owners [more in this MT thread]. Once revered, it has fallen into obscurity, and although they are trying hard to get their mojo back, you have to opt for Ad-Aware Total Security to be able to use an OEM version of G-DATA [contains Avast, BitDefender and Ad-Aware engines].

Outpost also uses Vipre AM engine, I think, which although VB100-certified is adequate and the "weak link" in this suite of contrasting components. The strength of OSS Free is in its firewall and proactive protection - excellent HIPS that comes pretty close to the prowess of Comodo. Nevermind the rhetoric about this being the first fully functional free security suite, the original release suffered from a number of usability issues, and, dare I say it, borderline disrespectful attitude towards the public - initially you could only update your definitions once a day. Luckily, these have been fixed, but AFAIK the Free still trails way behind the current paid edition, which brought considerable performance and functional improvements.

And there it is - CIS Free. Light, tamed and behaving way more restrained than before, lots of features - Defence+, auto sandbox, cloud-based antivirus and behavior analysis, SecureDNS service... The erratic behavior and statements of the CEO are at times cringe worthy, the company has had its own controversies, but actions speak louder than words, and CIS Free is enough to make you forget the latter.

CIS Free for me.
An excellent review! Your comment containing, on short, all relevant and necessary information.

ocsi

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 26, 2011
Thank you all for your prompt responses!
I started this topic to find solutions together and other than those already well known.:blush:

ocsi

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 26, 2011
Jack said:
As far as I can remember Outpost Free and Ad-ware Free are only limited versions of the Pro suite..so they lack some features.I won't get into any details because even the full versions of this suites can compete with CIS.....
For me it's an easy choice : COMODO Internet Security.
"As far as I can remember Outpost Free and Ad-ware Free are only limited versions of the Pro suite ....." - Yes, but together they are can a reliable solution. ... Or not?!:D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well I would say directly, CIS Free goes my vote. Definitely one of the successful free internet security software.

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
NathanF1 said:
Outpost also uses Vipre AM engine, I think, which although VB100-certified is adequate and the "weak link" in this suite of contrasting components.

Soemthing has been bugging me about my post and when I read it again I realized I made a mistake - I meant that Outpost uses VirusBuster engine, along in-house engines, but typed Vipre. To be exact:

... 3 engines and 2 technologies implemented into unite Anti-Malware engine: 1) Anti-Virus engine and databases licensed from VirusBuster, 2) Agnitum's Anti-Spyware engine + databases, 3) Agnitum's HAX engine - heuristic analyzer for exploits, 4) Agnitum's SmartScan technology, 5) Agnitum's SmartDecision technology.

Apologies for the error :(

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
i prefer avast with comodo firewall.......but if i have to choose among 3 mentioned......i would go for comodo internet security.......

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
I think that Ad-Aware is more like a bloatware. It uses a lot of space, as the installer itself is <120MB! I would recommend you to get CIS instead. It's a lot better.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
I would go with CIS. The major problem with ad-awre specifically vipre engine is that it isnt compatible with most firewall. According to me, after testing i found only OA works, that too u have to disable vipres HIPS driver.

Nathan, outpost does not use Vipre engine. Outpost uses Virusbuster and their own engine. Detection rate is good but not excellent. I would too recommended CIS as its av has won ICSA and West Coast certification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.