Ad-Aware Web Companion - Cloud System for Malware Filtering

Discussion in 'Ad-Aware (Lavasoft)' started by Ray Redbad, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Ray Redbad

Ray Redbad Guest

#1 Ray Redbad, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2014
    The long-established Lavasoft Ad-Aware Security Toolbar, a stand-alone solution as well as an opt-in bundled with all Ad-Aware AV product installers (and "necessary" only in Free AV+), is being replaced with Web Companion.

Yes, it's FREE!!

http://toolbar.lavasoft.com/
    http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/company/blog/web-companion-beta-is-now-available
    http://webcompanion.com/
    http://webcompanion.com/malware_url_blocker

While the Toolbar is, well, a browser toolbar, Companion is an in-line process. Branded as Lavasoft MUB is the real-time "URL Lookup Cloud System for Malware Filtering." One might conclude some benefit from their partnership with Bitdefender: "...intelligence shared with industry security partners."

One partner is surely Malware Domains. There are three constantly updated local files, and a Malware Domains txt file and two password protected zip files named hourly and weekly from Malware Domains' URL Labs. Generally this strategy is employed to reduce load on the cloud services. And a first-tier filter, no doubt.

Mentioned is Lavasoft CMP with no mention what CMP means. (I'll try and find out.) EDIT: Content Malware Protection.

I ran the Beta and found it installs a TCP Service and a Search Protection Service which filters via the local proxy (aka 127.0.0.1, aka loopback). Theoretically, that should offer protection across all Web enabled applications, not just the browser, but they don't make that claim - rather "advanced web protection." Read into that what you want.

I did not find any Bitdefender libraries or drives associated with the Companion run time or services.

The settings UI access is by a tray icon.

When installed with an Ad-Aware AV, my thinking is that it will add a long-absent cloud component to their product offerings. It should greatly enhance Free AV+ which begs for a better zero-day protection level. For the paid versions, I hope Lavasoft can manage to integrate the cloud as an application core as I am not particularly fond of processes (other than system) using the local proxy.

Currently in Beta, the production release is scheduled sometime in September which is almost now.

Wait and see... Cheers.

GabiCRX, yigido and Manzai like this.
  2. Moose

Moose Level 22

Jun 14, 2011
    Salutation!;)

Interesting! Let wait and see!:)

Kind regards,:eek:

3. Chromatinfish 123

May 26, 2014
    Canada/United States
    Kaspersky
    Thanks :) Installed but Extremely buggy, every time I open interface, program crash, every time I open program, system frozen, don't reccommend.

Kent and yigido like this.
  4. Ray Redbad

Ray Redbad Guest

#4 Ray Redbad, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2014
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: OH NO!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    That explains the 37.44 times I had to reboot. :D

Chromatinfish 123 likes this.
  5. Koroke San

Koroke San Level 28

Jan 22, 2014
    Don't install this piece of crap utility coz first it don't work how it promised & second it messed up ur PC, if u try to remove manually it's registry crap from regedit since 3rd party uninstaller like revo failed to remove all dirt.

Moose and Kent like this.
  6. Spawn

Spawn Administrator
    Staff Member Content Creator

Jan 8, 2011
    AVIRA PRESS RELEASE - Lavasoft Enters Multi-Year Agreement with Avira Antivirus to Further Enhance the Capabilities of Ad-Aware Web Companion

"Lavasoft, makers of award-winning free antivirus and antispyware Ad-Aware, has entered into a multi-year agreement with Avira to license its new cloud-based malicious URL (MURL) and program classification service (AUC). Compatible with a user’s existing antivirus program, Ad-Aware Web Companion works with the top browsers on the market to provide complete protection against malicious web content and dangerous phishing scams.

“When the Avira URL Cloud meets Lavasoft’s Ad-Aware, it’s win-win situation,” said Travis Witteveen, CEO of Avira. “In addition to enhancing Lavasoft’s ability to protect users from malicious websites, this deal shows the value from integrating Avira’s technological expertise into products from other leaders in the security space.”

Avira builds its own MURL lists by analyzing samples collected through automated sandboxes and the malicious sites encountered by the 100-million-users of Avira Antivirus. Avira further applies a battery of advanced heuristics in real time to assess new threats submitted to the Avira cloud.

To increase the Web protection capabilities in its Ad-Aware Web Companion, Lavasoft has an upcoming beta release, which will be followed by a public launch. In addition to its agreement with Avira, Lavasoft will continue to add third-party antivirus services to ensure users receive the world’s absolute best web protection."

For more information or to download Ad-Aware Web Companion, visit Ad-Aware Web Companion.

Tornado and tonibalas like this.
  7. Spawn

Spawn Administrator
    Staff Member Content Creator

Jan 8, 2011
    #7 Spawn, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    Screenshots from current version 2.1.1133.2333

Installing Web Companion (Agreement , Search Engine , Completion).
    upload_2015-10-12_14-22-52.png upload_2015-10-12_14-24-36.png

upload_2015-10-12_14-23-12.png

Main GUI (Web Companion , Settings , About)
    upload_2015-10-12_14-24-50.png
    upload_2015-10-12_14-25-5.png upload_2015-10-12_14-29-4.png

Process Explorer (LavasoftTcpService.exe , Lavasoft.SearchProtect.WinService.exe , Web Companion.exe)

upload_2015-10-12_14-27-37.png

Optional setting:

upload_2015-10-12_14-56-48.png

If you agree, what information is collected and sent?

Tornado likes this.
  8. Tornado

Tornado New Member

Nov 22, 2015
    Undisclosed
    Looks quite good trying it in a VM now, lags at startup and STILL buggy.