Ad Blocker - Do you use one? Will this block malicious ads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
Is it more than ever important to run a ad blocker ? Mainly because of malicious ads.

dJim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
from my experienced with all those Ad blockers .. im totally recomended Adfender. im using in free version and work just perfect blocking trackers + ads. just give a try.

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
from my experienced with all those Ad blockers .. im totally recomended Adfender. im using in free version and work just perfect blocking trackers + ads. just give a try.

I would if I didn't already use Ad Guard!

dJim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
Ad guard for what i know its good if u use paid version ( and it consume many more resources than fender ) this from my experienced ofc :) but yes any Adblocker help alot too.

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
Ad guard for what i know its good if u use paid version ( and it consume many more resources than fender ) this from my experienced ofc :) but yes any Adblocker help alot too.

True but that is what 16 GB of ram is for.

Reactions: dJim
L

LabZero

uBlock Origin, for example, is able to block access to many pages reported as containing malware.

When possible, it will block the loading of advertisements, preventing the connection with the site that provides it. When this is not possible (for example, the advertisement is hosted on the same site that you are visiting) using some filters that do not block but hide advertising.

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
uBlock Origin, for example, is able to block access to many pages reported as containing malware.

When possible, it will block the loading of advertisements, preventing the connection with the site that provides it. When this is not possible (for example, the advertisement is hosted on the same site that you are visiting) using some filters that do not block but hide advertising.

What about NoScript?

L

LabZero

What about NoScript?
NoScript blocks Javascript, Java, Flash, and other scripts. It, blocking in advance the script through the whitelist, prevents exploitation of security holes and vulnerabilities of the browser making it possible to choose the sites which allow the execution of these scripts and which might be contained in the pages.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Version 6 is really well optimised so your ardument is invalid :p:D

dJim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
uBlock is only extension for bronwser rigth? i think he talk abouth desktop program independent of bronwser u using?
will be great if firewalls add option too for block ads, trackers, scrips etc.. bcs they supose work protecting internet trafic should be able to add this option.

dJim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
Version 6 is really well optimised so your ardument is invalid :p:D

but free version its so " cut " version compared to paid one. anyway like i said before while those programs do the work we fine.

Reactions: done
H

hjlbx

Adguard desktop does take up a fair amount of disk space (150 MB or so), but RAM usage is quite low - about half that of AdBlocker Plus or similar.

If you want the lowest memory usage, then uBlock Origin is best choice.

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
NoScript is entirely different protection from malware domains or malvertising. It can stop Cross site Scripting XSS(especially useful if you use browser password manager), Clickjacking, DOM based, ActiveX attacks and unwanted Flash/Java elements running wild. However, as always it comes at the cost of some usability.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I use Ad Muncher but only because for various reasons now I'm stuck on an old PC. Blocking ads is really problematic. Free websites are absolutely dependent on ad revenue for their survival. When I get on a computer with good specs I don't intend to use an ad blocker per se. Now I don't suppose using NoScript or uBlock Origin to block malware is the same as just going out to block ads.

Just the other day I actually used a discount on a vitamin site, Swanson, that was from one of those tracking cookies following me around the Internet and displaying ads. It was a better discount than what was available through email. I know that company well, and their tracking cookies don't bother me.

I would like to use a browser extension or, if need be, program to stop websites from playing videos that I haven't clicked on. A website that autoplays videos deserves to be ad-blocked. It's one of the most obnoxious features of the Internet. Unfortunately I haven't found the ad-blockers I've used to stop autoplaying videos.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Of course Adblocker like Adguard and Ublock Origin contains functionality that can protect you against malicious sites which bound to contain suspicious scripts.

However better to have a program that mainly focus on web based threats since adblockers may also bypass some instinct sites,

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Adguard is an ad-blocker that promises to block some malware as a secondary function. Is that what uBlock Origin is, or is it focused on fighting malware?

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
At GitHub - gorhill/uBlock: uBlock Origin - An efficient blocker for Chromium and Firefox. Fast and lean.
uBlock Origin is NOT an "ad blocker": it is a wide-spectrum blocker -- which happens to be able to function as a mere "ad blocker". The default behavior of uBlock Origin when newly installed is to block ads, trackers and malware sites -- throughEasyList, EasyPrivacy, Peter Lowe’s ad/tracking/malware servers, various lists of malwaresites, and uBlock Origin's own filter lists.

Here's a different ad-blocking option: NoAd DNS. I'm thinking about this.
We remove ads, banners, and pop-ups on all websites – even YouTube will be free of advertisements
When your computer doesn't use power on loading advertisements your computer will load the website faster. When you don't load ads your computer won't risk exposure to viruses. Furthermore marketing companies won't be able to track your browsing whereabouts.

All you need to do is use NoAd's DNS servers. It might seem a bit complicated but it actually isn't. You can use our ad blocking service by running a small program – press the blue button in the top right corner. The program will automatically alter your browser settings to use NoAd's advertisement free DNS servers. The program will execute itself with no software installed. The only change will be your DNS settings and your ad free browsing experience. You can see our instructional video by pressing the top right black button. If you wish to make the change yourself visit our support page.

security-150x150.png

Security

Through time a lot of big and respected websites have unwillingly spread viruses to their visitors. It typically occurs when the advertiser has been infected with virus. The visited website unknowingly spreads the virus from the advertiser on to your computer. By using Noad's service you automatically avoid loading advertisements of all kind – which eliminates the threat of catching a virus.

anonymity-150x150.png

Anonymity

Most advertisements on websites collects the most information about you that they can. This includes browsing history, likes and dislikes and use of different services. By not loading advertisements you shut out the advertiser and thereby keep your personal information safe and with you – where it should be.

speed-150x150.png

Speed

When your computer doesn't use processing power on loading websites it'll display the website much quicker and with less power consumption. This essentially enables you to visit websites at a much faster speed – an added bonus is the ad free browsing experience

Free for private use

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.