Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
dotTech said:
Adblock Plus is the most popular adblocking add-on around. dotTech recommends it and I am sure many dotTechies (including myself) use it. Indeed in the day and age where some websites have more ads than content, Adblock Plus is one of the best add-ons available. So, then, when the latest version of Adblock Plus (v2.0 -- it should starting rolling out to Firefox users starting tomorrow and will hit Chrome in the next few months) makes a fundamental change that potentially challenges the core existence of the add-on, Ashraf takes notice.

Okay, okay -- enough talking about myself in third person. The point of this article isn't to stroke my ego but rather to point out the new "acceptable ads" feature in Adblock Plus v2.0.

WHAT ARE "ACCEPTABLE ADS"?

Starting in v2.0, Adblock Plus has a new opt-out feature called "acceptable ads". "Acceptable ads" are ads the developer of Adblock Plus has vetted and approved to be "non-intrusive". As such, ads regarded as "acceptable" are allowed to show on some websites.

WHICH ADS ARE ACCEPTABLE, HOW ARE THEY ACCEPTABLE, AND FOR WHICH WEBSITES?

At the moment the developer has three requirements for an ad to be "acceptable":

• Static advertisements only (no animations, sounds or similar)
  • Preferably text only, no attention-grabbing images
  • At most one script that will delay page load (in particular, only a single DNS request)
  • The developer also proclaims, to protect user privacy, they would like to make mandatory Do Not
  • Track support for acceptable ads but that isn't possible, yet.

Take note the criteria listed above is subject to change and is not finalized.

Furthermore, as it stands, acceptable ads are on a website-to-website basis. In other words, "acceptable ads" won't be shown on all websites; only websites listed in the acceptable ad filter will show acceptable ads. Currently, at the time of this writing, there are three websites and Sedo parked domains present in the acceptable ad filter.

In regards to how the developer decides which websites to add to the acceptable ad filter: No one knows. From what I have read about it, the developer has not explicitly stated how they are selecting websites to add to the filter; they only state:

We have agreements with some websites and advertisers that only advertising matching our criteria will be used, their ads will be unblocked then. We hope to grow our list significantly over time.

MUST I ALLOW "ACCEPTABLE ADS"?

No. The "acceptable ads" feature is enabled by default for new users and users upgrading. However, users can easily opt-out of it.

Read more >>

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I use it and can't live with out it. Kills all the ads which is great.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
This piece of addon is really great, effectiveness of blocking ads would really have a peace of mind.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Ads just increase page loading time and use more of my limited bandwidth. They are distracting and never show me anything interesting that I'd even click on in the first place.

Bottom line for me. Ads are useless in my day to day browsing life.

By the way. You're the 1000th person to read this post! You have won a free Ipad! /sarcasm

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
I definitely plan on opting-out.

Ads have no place in my browser. Even ads that someone deems 'acceptable'.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I have already updated Adblock Plus and opted out. To me ads are useless and the major source of malware, scams, identity thief, useless or less efficient products and services, etc.

No ads are acceptable they also slow down your browser and use up unnecessary resources, etc.

I understand that many websites rely on ads for support to cover the costs that's why many have signed deals with controversial and rogue vendors like Uniblue and Ask.com.

Until the advertising business turns over to a more trusted source, most users will choose to opt out.

Thanks.:D

DiabloBlack

Nov 5, 2011
Both my desktop and work laptop updated today. The first thing I did was opt out. I installed Adblock Plus for a reason TO BLOCK ADVERTISEMENTS! The default should be opt out, if you want lame ads then you must check the box to opt in and not the other way around.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Eh .... Adblock plus is not the only developer who has this type of products ... I'm sure others developers will take advantage of this 'not welcomed' move.....
Adblock blog said:
Are you stupid? Nobody wants this!
The results of our user survey say something different. Only 25% of the Adblock Plus users seem to be strictly against any advertising. They will disable this feature and that's fine. The other users replied that they would accept some kinds of advertising to help websites. Some users are even asking for a way to enable Adblock Plus on some websites only.
Seems like most of us are the 25% minority here..... :p .. Like you guys hate the ads because usually the links are from 'cheap' and untrustworthy products like Uniblue or other crap-ware like that.....
I'm using Chrome and now I have Adblock Plus for Google Chrome™ (Beta)1.1.4 installed and I can't see any of this 'ACCEPTABLE ADS' so for now this seems like a Firefox project..... even so if they'll bring it into Chrome I'll opt out because I have no use for them as I never click the ads.
I'm curios to see what ads will be considered as acceptable............ and on what sites....
What could have push the developer of Adblock to this move? Money?? Vendors pressure?

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Opt out, like the rest. I remember reading a few months ago something about ABP planning on displaying some sort of ad in its option menu. I can not remember what it was exactly but I recall there were complaints about it from users. I guess, the developer at that time, gave in to users wishes of no ad in the options menu.

This new "ad option" and what I mentioned, I guess it means that the developer of ABP needs/wants more revenue for his work.

Bo

V

Vextor

I mean, it does mean you can have a greater sense of mind, and it will now convince more ad companies to go just text (YEAH, well maybe) and if it works, well done.
I am opting out because ads simply slow down my rendering speed, my download speed and display animations which slow down my browser speed, even if it is just text. So, we are the minority eh. We're special :D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Unchecked to allow non -intrusive ads. Cause generally its still ads that would try to convince users to click.

Big difference to surf a web using with adblocker as nothing hassle will be occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.