New Update AdGuard Browser Extension - Stable Updates Thread

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
Switched back to AdGuard Browser Extension from AdGuard Windows to try v4. Only side issue to decide on is whether to set up secure DNS in Browser (Brave & Edge) or use a DNS client (YogaDNS).

Reactions: Venustus and amirr

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
@JasonUK Why you decided to not use AdGuard for Windows?
No particular reason other than to check out the browser extension which I've used previously :) There is a slight time-lag when loading webpages using AdGuard for Windows compared to uBlock Origin or AdGuard Browser Extension in my experience. If the ad/tracking protection is pretty close to desktop version in v4 may switch to the extension for a while.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 92963

When uBlock also implemented the $removeparam URL filtering option of AdGuard, GorHill warned that one badly crafted removeparam rule would be as cpu intensive as 10.000 wel contructed rules. Because I like to use as few rules as possible and the Adguard URL Tracking protection list contains over 90 generic removeparam rules (generic rules are often called badly crafted rules) I always doubted between one-setup for both my easy and hard edge profiles or use a best blocking extension for browsing purpose.

With Adguard v4 having an improved rule processing engine, I finally settled for using the best extension for my browsing purpose profile:
- Hard mode profile: uBlockOrigin in hard mode without any adblock filters in uBO, because I have Edge tracking protection on strict
- Easy mode profile: Adguard v4 with two default lists and three custom lists with Edge tracking protection on default

Default AG lists:
- AdGuard URL tracking filter
- Legitemate URL shortener

Custom Lists
- EU US most used ads & trackers ABP format (link)
- Easylist allowlist (link)
- EasyPrivacy allowlist (link)
- LennyFox's allow list Dutch payment services (link)

User Rules
- Copied AG base filter rules for Youtube

Total rule count is just above 8000, with no website breakage because I added the Easylist allow lists. I really like the new filtering log. It was very easy to copy the AG base rules for youtube (just start youtube and see which requests are blocked/modified and copy them to User Rules).

1638014877967.png

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 92963

I also asked for a simpler user interface option simular to uBO Simple popup GUI · Issue #1908 · AdguardTeam/AdguardBrowserExtension

My wife finds the 'extra information' distracting. She holds two Master degrees (in Psychology and HR) so not a dumb 'Sheila' but a typical I hate confusing technology kind of PC user ("technology designed by men, who see to little sunlight and women" when she complains about IT or Tech).

1638019652938.png

Last edited by a moderator:

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
It's interesting to see how v4 beta is changing some of the user rules that I had set up in v3 when copied across ~ examples of each change below together with comment what original rule was aiming to achieve! The TLD's blocked are taken from Spamhaus' list of most abused TLDs at The Spamhaus Project - The Top 10 Most Abused TLDs

! --- Block downloading executable content from insecure HTTP websites
|http://*.exe^$empty

Becomes:
|http://*.exe^$redirect=nooptext

! --- Block all on much abused country code TLD's. The TLD is between ||* and ^$, e.g. ||*.AM^$
||*.cn^$all

Becomes:
||*.cn^$document,popup
||*.cn^$csp=script-src 'self' 'unsafe-eval' http: https: data: blob: mediastream: filesystem:
||*.cn^$csp=font-src 'self' 'unsafe-eval' http: https: data: blob: mediastream: filesystem:
||*.cn^

I won't pretend to understand structure of new rules but they block the TLDs effectively enough (same blocking screen as AdGuard for Windows). Blocking the TLDs are probably unnecessary to be honest as chances of visiting most of them are slim to nil so I might delete those anyway.

Last edited:

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Switched back to AdGuard Browser Extension from AdGuard Windows to try v4. Only side issue to decide on is whether to set up secure DNS in Browser (Brave & Edge) or use a DNS client (YogaDNS).
Thanks for your input. Today, I started getting ads on YouTube, while Adguard for Windows is installed.
Decided to give AdGuard browser extension v4.0 (Beta) a try and ads again disappeared. I don't know what went wrong with Adguard for Windows today.
I think I will use AdGuard browser extension. Is it free? I paid for Adguard for Windows, but I dont see anywhere saying that the AdGuard browser extension is free.

Also, thanks and now I can get back to KIS and enable these settings mentioned this thread:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Does AdGuard Browser extension, requires Adguard for Desktop to be installed?
Can I enter the same license I have for Adguard for Windows, to activate AdGuard Browser extension?

Adguard browser extension works independent and it's free to use, same as other well-known adblockers like AB+ or uBO.
Your Adguard license isn't required ;)

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
You are welcome @amirr

Adguard offers a lot of guides including AdGuard browser extension, it's useful even for long time users, sometimes new features are added...

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
I've been running v4 too for a while (disabling Adguard for Windows) however this morning when I opened multiple (30+) tabs at once it seemed to really struggle and filter list showed virtually nothing blocked until I refreshed each tab. Not sure what could have happened there as it's not done that before? Perhaps the extension hadn't loaded properly (on Brave).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.