Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
AdGuard Browser extension version 3.6.17 released December 24, 2021
In this version we've fixed only one, but nevertheless important issue.

Changelog​

[Fixed] Do not accept CSS rules with "image-set" #1920

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I see that Adguard is blocking a few things on MS Edge's homepage through its Base, Tracking and Annoyances filter.
None of these are blocked by EasyList, EasyPrivacy, Fanboys Annoyance list in uBlock Origin.
Are these things worth blocking? Should EasyList add these things? Can @Kees1958 or anyone else check this out?
adg.gif
I tried the Adguard 4 beta today and saw an YouTube ad.
BTW, this issue is gone. No more ads on YouTube with Adguard Extension.

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

@SeriousHoax

Thanks for asking me. I did some more reading on AdGuard v4. AGv4 uses a new filtering engine called TSUrlFilter. Looking at the documentation this engine can be build with Manifest3. I will install AdGuard V4 again to check the blocks out.

1643883259051.png

I can answer your second question right away, uBlockOrigin uses its own filtering engine. As far as I know Adguard is the only one with build-in rule converter for advanced ABP and uBO rules. ABP only digests ABP rules and uBO digests ABP plus uBO rules.

EDIT: I looked at the blocks, as far as I can see uBO should be able to process them also. Yes it makes sense to block them. It maybe a good idea to use AdGuard Optimized Filters (which member of MT was it who posted that AG had the best maintained large blocklists of all) :)
  1. AG base + EasyList

2. AG tracking protection + EasyPrivacy

3. AG Annoyances (which I always found a bit more streamlines - less website breakage than FanBoys version)

4. AG URL remove parameters
    menu option of uBO

Last edited by a moderator:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
AdGuard browser extension 4.0.105 beta
This version mainly includes UI fixes but there are also scriptlets updates and some minor improvements. In this version we've added click2load scriptlet support. This scriptlet allows to block iFrames (short for 'inline frame element') and then unblock them in one click.

Changelog​

• [Fixed] Page scripts won't work due to CSP: require-trusted-types-for 'script' #1923
  • [Fixed] Inaccuracy in the description of the actions (User rules) #1921
  • [Fixed] UI Improvement: Sliders and etc. #1912
  • [Fixed] Images are broken by HTML filtering rules #1906
  • [Fixed] After reset settings, default filters does not turn on afrer enabling filters groups #1902
  • [Fixed] Extension adds own id in the allowlist #1901
  • [Fixed] Increasing the contrast the "X" button on the dark theme #363
  • [Fixed] The distance to the right and left for the buttons should be the same #1900
  • [Fixed] Align the funnel on an axis of symmetry #1899
  • [Fixed] Improvement of the statistics graph #1898
  • [Fixed] On a light and dark themes, the text is not very visible #1895
  • [Fixed] Dots in the end of settings descriptions #1892
  • [Fixed] Do not convert $all to 4 rules #1879
  • [Fixed] Can't block $removeparam modifier from filtering logs #1821
  • [Fixed] AdGuard 4.0.64 Beta Doesn't Check Option on Reports AdGuard Page #1937
  • [Fixed] The extension icon blinks when going into pause mode #1917
  • [Fixed] Banner breaks when checking for filter updates #1948
  • [Added] click2load scriptlet support #122

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
@SeriousHoax

Thanks for asking me. I did some more reading on AdGuard v4. AGv4 uses a new filtering engine called TSUrlFilter. Looking at the documentation this engine can be build with Manifest3. I will install AdGuard V4 again to check the blocks out.

I can answer your second question right away, uBlockOrigin uses its own filtering engine. As far as I know Adguard is the only one with build-in rule converter for advanced ABP and uBO rules. ABP only digests ABP rules and uBO digests ABP plus uBO rules.

EDIT: I looked at the blocks, as far as I can see uBO should be able to process them also. Yes it makes sense to block them. It maybe a good idea to use AdGuard Optimized Filters (which member of MT was it who posted that AG had the best maintained large blocklists of all) :)
  1. AG base + EasyList

2. AG tracking protection + EasyPrivacy

3. AG Annoyances (which I always found a bit more streamlines - less website breakage than FanBoys version)

4. AG URL remove parameters
    menu option of uBO
I am checking this out with Edge right now. Are you saying that we should just use the three filterlists you mentioned here with the new Adguard?

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

I am checking this out with Edge right now. Are you saying that we should just use the three filterlists you mentioned here with the new Adguard?
No that is for people using uBlockOrigin. In AdGuard just use the UI filter menu options and enable "optimized filters" as shown in the picture below (is in Dutch, but the menu options are the same in your language)

1643961974114.png

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

AdGuard browser extension 4.0.108 beta

1643979472571.png

@Gandalf_The_Grey

I updated my Kees1958 list and while updating the blocklists in AGv4 I also got a notification that AG beta was updated.
I am not making a habit of this, your efforts on keeping us informed on the latest updates is well appreciated (y)

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

@Kees1958 Can you tell me what's being blocked by Adguard Tracking Protection here on MS Edge's homepage?
Does the "navigator.getBattery" means something on the homepage trying to know users laptop battery percentage?
Apparently this rule on the tracking filter falls under the Advanced rule category of Adguard and doesn't work in uBlock Origin.
View attachment 264494
100% correct (y) you just passed your Ninja AdBlock exam, congratulations 👏 (@Jack please add a new Ninja forum tag) :)

The Navigator interface represents the state and the identity of the user agent. It allows scripts to query it. (link) Looking at the picture, I think AG returns a fixed value (probably 100%)

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019

Adguard Browser extension 4.0.125 beta

New AdGuard Browser Extension release candidate's changelog mostly consists of minor bug fixes (as it often goes with release candidates). Hopefully, this is the last stretch before finally firing off the v4.0 release.

Changelog​

• [Fixed] Wrong Dutch Language translation in AG popup window #1974
  • [Fixed] AdGuard 4.0.108 Does Not Check Updates for Custom Filter #1972
  • [Fixed] Add "box" for rule text in filtering log #1970
  • [Fixed] Redirecting to the wrong page from the link #1966
  • [Fixed] The page doesn't get blocked after adding a $document- type rule
  • [Fixed] AdGuard API allowlist is not working on domains with www
  • [Fixed] Empty file import creates empty string in the user rules
  • [Fixed] navigator.globalPrivacyControl is not set in the content script
  • [Fixed] Filtering log wrongly determines requests as allowlisted
  • [Improvement] Make "!#if" apply to custom filter lists #1971
  • [Enhancement] Adding a rule and subsequently importing a new custom rules list now keeps the added rule

How to install beta:​

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

So AG4 vs Ublock Origin?

What we saying?
AG4 has new rules engine (tsURLfilter) which is a typescript library and seems to be ready for Manifest V3 see link

AdGuard said:
The idea is to have a single library that we can reuse for the following tasks:
  • Doing content blocking in our Chrome and Firefox extensions (obviously)
  • Using this library for parsing rules and converting to Safari-compatible content blocking lists (see AdGuard for Safari, AdGuard for iOS)
  • Using this library for validating and linting filter lists (see FiltersRegistry, AdguardFilters)
  • It could also be used as a basis for the VS code extension

Besides being faster, the main advantage of this new rules engine are the new modifiers: $removeheader, $redirect-rule, $ping, $path, $noop, and $denyallow and improved $redirect modifier. TSUrlFilter is a rule application module that will be used in various projects, including AdGuard DNS. New filtering engine also has a new rules converter which facilitates the new ManifestV3 format rules (see picture).

Note: it is an open source project, and uBO users will recognize NOOP and DENYALLOW. This would pave the way for smaller (one-man-band) projects to reuse this code.

Attachments

• 1645451350426.png
    1645451350426.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 180

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
@Kees1958 I saw someone writing on uBO reddit that the main reason Peter Lowe's host is enabled in uBO even though all/most hosts included in the list are already covered by EasyList and EasyPrivacy is "performance". Apparently uBO is faster at filtering host based format.
Is it true? Is it true for uBO? Is it true for Adguard also? Is there any measurable performance improvements for both extension when Peter Lowe's or maybe even your own EU_US+most_used filter (even though I see you have decided not to create a host based filter) is added along with their respective default filters?
Or that person's information wasn't correct?

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.