Level 7
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
1646561742550.png

same

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Was this version only available for US users, I wonder. Anyone else from the US?
From within the GUI i get this web page for the Beta. Click on the assets arrow to get the Zip.

Reactions: silversurfer

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Was this version only available for US users, I wonder. Anyone else from the US?
From within the GUI i get this web page for the Beta. Click on the assets arrow to get the Zip.

German user here, I have also AG beta v4.0.133 on both browsers Edge and Firefox.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Mystery solved: v4.0.133 was the latest beta and is now the stable version of AdGuard browser extension v4.0:
The AdGuard Browser extension 4.0 is not currently available to all users. The Chrome Store has approved a new version of our extension, but a phased release process is now underway: the version will be rolled out gradually by increasing the percentage of availability to users. Other stores (Microsoft, Opera Addons, AMO) are still reviewing it. If you don’t want to wait for the new version to arrive in the store, you can download the attached build.

Meet AdGuard Browser Extension v4.0! It’s not a mere update, but a major release that delivers a pack of new features to the users of the extension.
Code refactoring and new filtering engine

Refactoring has become sort of a buzzword that implies massive code rewriting, which we did to complicate our lives and make it easier in the long run. Besides, we added support for TSUrlFilter, our new filtering platform that implements AdGuard content blocking rules.

TSUrlFilter is a filtering engine. In AdGuard apps, its role is performed by CoreLibs, and if happen to read release notes, you must have heard about it more than once. TSUrlFilter is a rule application module that will be used in various projects, including AdGuard DNS.
Responsive design

We switched to responsive (or adaptive) design. That is to say, that interface elements will adapt to screen size both on desktop and mobile devices, regardless of the model.

This is convenient both for us, because we don't need to develop separate versions of the Browser extension, and for users — it's always nice when an app (or a browser extension, in the case given) looks good.
Redesign and new Filtering log

Now the filtering log not only сomplies with the principles of the responsive web design, its overall appearance has changed significantly. If you used the former filtering log, you'll be able to tell the difference: the new version presents searching in tabs, many new request statuses and filters that facilitate finding the needed requests. New filters and statuses are highlighted, and tooltips explaining each one pop up when hovering a cursor over them. Apart from that, you can preview requests and format them in the same dialog — clicking the "Beautify" button makes it easier to read these requests.

The editor in the User rules section can now be opened in fullscreen mode, which makes working adding, editing, and deleting filter rules much more convenient. Finally, there is a new action on the AdGuard Browser Extension popup that allows to reset all the user rules for the currently opened website in one fell swoop.

Besides, now the AdGuard Browser Extension features dark theme that everybody loves so much.
Support for new modifiers after switching to TSUrlFilter

"What makes TSUrlFilter better than the previous filtering engine?" the most curious may ask. Probably, the main advantage is support of some new modifiers: $removeheader, $redirect-rule, $ping, $path, $noop, and $denyallow. And the $redirect modifier has been significantly improved, so now all the $redirect rules for a website can be cancelled by applying @@||example.org^$redirect.

Last edited:

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Good news. Will await more experienced users to see if this is better or just as good as uBO.

That depends. They are not the same. uBo is better at cosmetic filtering, most notably because it has an advanced mode where you can block server requests. AdGuard does not. I'd say, if you want browser-only protection use uBo in advanced mode. If you want system-wide protection use AdGuard for Windows. It offers a lot more features than the extension.

Reactions: oldschool

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
That depends. They are not the same. uBo is better at cosmetic filtering, most notably because it has an advanced mode where you can block server requests. AdGuard does not. I'd say, if you want browser-only protection use uBo in advanced mode. If you want system-wide protection use AdGuard for Windows. It offers a lot more features than the extension.

Is that right? I thought AdGuard did a good job of cosmetic filtering as well?

ng4ever

Level 16
Verified
Feb 11, 2016

I am so glad system-wide protection Windows program Ad Guard blocks all those game ads on game servers.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.