New Update AdGuard Browser Extension - Stable Updates Thread

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

That depends. They are not the same. uBo is better at cosmetic filtering, most notably because it has an advanced mode where you can block server requests.

For creating cosmetic filters AdGuard's rule builder is a little more advanced than uBlockOrigin's element picker. AdGuard does not have the advanced mode of uBlockOrigin, but it has an extra stealth mode with 'self distructing cookies' option. Advanced mode has noting to do with cosmetic filtering, it ads an extra layer of managing (server) request as you posted.

A lot of tracking mechanisms moved from cookies to URL parameters, pixel tags, websocket and XMLHttpRequest/Fetch mechanisms. uBO's advanced medium mode allows Websocket, XMLHttpRequest and Fetches (it has like AdGuard advanced rules to deal with 1x1, 2x2 and 3x3 pixel tags, but I doubt many people know how to use them), so uBO's advanced medium mode "only" adds a layer of security at the cost of a lot of hassle and tweaking.

Using Edge with advanced (super duper) security mode which disables the Javascript Just in Time compiler and enabling Edge option to lower the renderer processes to AppContainer rights is a far more effective and hassle free security measure than tweaking uBO in advanced mode. Just look at @Andy Ful posts on malware samples and comparative testing, you can read that the usage of browser based javascript malware has lowered in the past decade (shifted to misuse of scripting in documents and lolbins).

That said I have advanced mode third-party blocking of uBO enabled in my Edge "strict" profile (disabled in my "easy" profile), not because it actually adds something to Edge security, but because it feels good to have control over what is allowed to connect. In this matter I agree with you: it feels safer to use uBO's advanced mode ;)

For the average user AG is as good as uBO (and AGv4 is Google Manifest 3 compatible).

Last edited by a moderator:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
While I still like uBlock Origin more, because the main flyout provides more information, the cosmetic filtering of AdGuard is better.
I'm using some of AdGuard's filters in uBlock Origin, the most important being: AdGuard Base filter + EasyList (Optimized).

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
For creating cosmetic filters AdGuard's rule builder is a little more advanced than uBlockOrigin's element picker. AdGuard does not have the advanced mode of uBlockOrigin, but it has an extra stealth mode with 'self distructing cookies' option. Advanced mode has noting to do with cosmetic filtering, it ads an extra layer of managing (server) request as you posted.

A lot of tracking mechanisms moved from cookies to URL parameters, pixel tags, websocket and XMLHttpRequest/Fetch mechanisms. uBO's advanced medium mode allows Websocket, XMLHttpRequest and Fetches (it has like AdGuard advanced rules to deal with 1x1, 2x2 and 3x3 pixel tags, but I doubt many people know how to use them), so uBO's advanced medium mode "only" adds a layer of security at the cost of a lot of hassle and tweaking.

Using Edge with advanced (super duper) security mode which disables the Javascript Just in Time compiler and enabling Edge option to lower the renderer processes to AppContainer rights is a far more effective and hassle free security measure than tweaking uBO in advanced mode. Just look at @Andy Ful posts on malware samples and comparative testing, you can read that the usage of browser based javascript malware has lowered in the past decade (shifted to misuse of scripting in documents and lolbins).

That said I have advanced mode third-party blocking of uBO enabled in my Edge "strict" profile (disabled in my "easy" profile), not because it actually adds something to Edge security, but because it feels good to have control over what is allowed to connect. In this matter I agree with you: it feels safer to use uBO's advanced mode ;)

For the average user AG is as good as uBO (and AGv4 is Google Manifest 3 compatible).

Thanks for explaining this. I have been using uBO for years, but I am not a web guy. I work in IT but when it comes to web pages etc, I have no idea about the backend, scripts etc. I can view source and look into certain things, but that is about as far as I can go.

I have heard people speak about advanced mode of uBO but to date, I have zero idea what it is. I just install the extension, add some custom filter lists, and for the most part I am good to go. If the new Adguard is comparable to this, at least myself and others like me will have something to use next year when Google and others start enforcing Manifest 3.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
AdGuard Browser Extension for Chrome / Firefox / Edge / Opera 4.0.141 Released
You’ve probably had this happen: you’re going to a party, everything seems perfect, and just before you leave you notice a stain on your clothes. What would you do? Change your look, of course. Well, we’ve noticed a little “stain” on the v4.0.133 release too: some users were unable to remove a domain from Allowlist after the update. And we’ve decided to release a new version right away with this bug fixed.

Changelog
  • [Fixed] Pause button not fully aligned to center #1994
  • [Fixed] User rules and allowlist box shrinks little to left #1995
  • [Fixed] Rules with :where() pseudo class do not work #1998
  • [Fixed] Cannot remove a domain from Allowlist after update to v4.0 #2002
  • [Fixed] 'Learn more' button design on update popup

superleeds27

Level 6
Verified
Apr 5, 2017
You’ve probably had this happen: you’re going to a party, everything seems perfect, and just before you leave you notice a stain on your clothes. What would you do? Change your look, of course. Well, we’ve noticed a little “stain” on the v4.0.133 release too:

Nice analogy!

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Can anyone help me with a filter to get rid of this notification on the bottom? I've been trying but nothing seems to be working. Thanks!

fox.png

Reactions: Nevi and Kongo

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Can anyone help me with a filter to get rid of this notification on the bottom? I've been trying but nothing seems to be working. Thanks!

View attachment 265136

On your screenshot, I see on the bottom in the right corner the green icon of Adguard, that's probably related to Adguard for Windows? May it's the difference why you see "this warning"

I have Adguard Browser Extension v.4 and same as others @user13 & @SeriousHoax, here nothing to see like that 🤷‍♂️

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
@SeriousHoax @silversurfer @oldschool @Gandalf_The_Grey
I am thinking on getting YouTube Premium for the first time, and then ditch Adguard Desktop ( system wide) and only use AdGuard browser extension v4.0.
Any idea about my decision?
Many thanks!

Adguard for Windows HTTPS scanning is worth to avoid, I fully agree for using AdGuard browser extension v4.0
I see no ads on YouTube, so looks like AG new version 4 works same like uBlockOrigin, but you have probably some reason for considering YouTube Premium

cryogent

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2016
@SecureKongo - Thank you
From my point of view after reading this article and a few other articles online I decided to keep the option ticked considering that the percentage of malware distribution via HTTPS traffic has increased over the last 2 years even though the risk of my traffic being compromised due to AV/Adguard certificates at some point, I'm sure won't be too soon.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Maybe this is a stupid question but why is HTTPS scanning to be avoided?

I meant especially in this case of Adblocker software like Adguard for Windows, as long we can use browser extensions for same purpose, and/or certain DNS services...
In general, when it comes to HTTPS scanning by any software even AVs and changing websites HTTPS certificate, this is the main issue:

@SecureKongo - Thank you
From my point of view after reading this article and a few other articles online I decided to keep the option ticked considering that the percentage of malware distribution via HTTPS traffic has increased over the last 2 years even though the risk of my traffic being compromised due to AV/Adguard certificates at some point, I'm sure won't be too soon.
I can partially agree with this case of protection by AVs, although other AV modules are usually able to catch malware one step later: signatures, cloud detection, behavior blocker.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014

HPKP checking is disabled for local certificates, that's why the test fails.

That's one of the reasons we do have a huge exceptions list. Whatever we do, it'd be better to not filter HTTPS on banking websites as HTTPS provides quite a few good enough options to protect itself.

What for our plans, we're currently working on a GitHub - AdguardTeam/CoreLibs: Core Adguard libraries, core Adguard libraries which will be shared between all AG products.

One of those core libraries would be an SSL verification library, supporting HPKP and CRLSets.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.