Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
DNS filtering

This feature has been long present in other AdGuard products. Not only will the DNS module protect your DNS traffic from the ISP’s and fraudsters’ interception, it will also block ads. However, it’s important to stress that the DNS doesn’t replace normal protection, rather it works best when coupled with it.

We have a wide and regularly updated database of domain names, and now you can set it up on AdGuard for Windows.

You can choose the server type (DNS-over-HTTPS/DNS-over-TLS, etc.) that suits your needs best or add your own custom DNS server. Also, here is a link to our knowledge base, where we have collected the most popular DNS providers and added a quick setup option. One click, and your DNS is ready for use.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
AdGuard for Windows 7.5 beta 2 features important UI-related tasks. We also fixed the localization error that occurred when using Simplified Chinese in the app and improved the efficiency of CoreLibs filtering engine.

Changelog
  • [Enhancement] Upgrade CoreLibs to 1.7.12 #3458
  • [Fixed] Recently added filter won't show up in the filter editor #3340
  • [Fixed] List of built-in DNS servers is doubled on UI #3456
  • [Fixed] Selecting Simplified Chinese leads to problems with subscriptions #3457
  • [Other] "Not Found" icon carries over to other Settings sections #3413

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Changelog
  • [Fixed] Connecting to a DNSCrypt-protected DNS causes AdGuard to throw a connection error #3455
  • [Fixed] Assistant issue: AdGuard not installed or installed incorrectly #3469
  • [Other] Change the priority of languages for the situation without zh-TW translations. #3442
  • [Other] UI crashes during localization process for ZH-cn locale #3470
  • [Other] Wrongly use zh-CN encoding in zh-TW interface everywhere. (v7.5 beta 1) #3443

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Just an extension, product works as always. Was hoping this update would make it faster, but everything goes as slow as always :(

Reactions: Protomartyr

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Source: AdGuard v7.5 for Windows: DNS module and better tracking protection

AdGuard for Windows is the very first in the line of AdGuard products. It's been around forever and has seen countless updates. What more could we possible add there? Quite a lot, as it turns out, and you'll be able to make sure of it yourself in just a minute. Let's start with the headliner of the v7.5 update:

DNS module
  • Check out this article to learn more about DNS and how it works.

adguard_dns_en.png

Now your DNS traffic is safer

This feature has been long present in some other AdGuard products, like AdGuard for Android. DNS module allows you to select any DNS server you like. There are multiple options:
  • From a list of recommended ones (including AdGuard DNS)
  • From the list of DNS providers in our Knowledge Base, where we have collected the most popular DNS providers and added a quick setup option
  • Or you can even add a custom one
Why would you want to do that? A few reasons. First of all, using a non-default DNS server will help protect your DNS traffic from the ISP’s and fraudsters’ interception. Many DNS providers support safe protocols like DNS-over-HTTPS and DNS-over-TLS. We strongly recommend using one of those, as it greatly improves your online safety.

Some DNS servers also have additional features, like ad blocking or protection from malicious websites. Check out the tooltips next to each DNS server to learn more about it.

Blocking Windows 10 tracking

This is the newest addition to Stealth Mode. Windows 10 is known for many good changes compared to predecessors, but notorious for its aspiration to track your activity. To the point that we felt it was justified to dedicate an entire section of Stealth Mode to it.

adguard_windows_tracking_en.png

A useful addition to Stealth Mode

You'll find four options under "Windows Tracking":
  • Disable Windows telemetry
  • Turn off advertising ID
  • Disable Windows Defender automatic samples submission
  • Disable WAP push message routing service
To illustrate the significance of disabling system telemetry, let’s take Cortana, a virtual assistant similar to Siri, but developed by Microsoft. Its feature set is enabled by default and Cortana periodically sends usage and performance data to Microsoft. Those assistants help, but they also gather a lot of personal data. If you, as a user, have privacy concerns (which is completely understandable and even expected in this day and age), we’ll help to disable telemetry nice and easy.

You can learn what other new options do in the tooltips right next to them.

Read more below:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
A good step on the right direction with the current release.

Pause protection for 30 seconds
[Fixed] Slow UI performance in the main window

Further changelogs from Github:
Source: Releases · AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows
Changelog
  • [Enhancement] Allow select several content types for the shown records in the filtering log #3392
  • [Fixed] Slow UI performance in the main window #3322
  • [Fixed] Filtering log shows wrong type of applied stealth-mode option #3423
  • [Fixed] Connecting to a DNSCrypt-protected DNS causes AdGuard to throw a connection error #3455
  • [Fixed] Assistant issue: AdGuard not installed or installed incorrectly #3469
  • [Fixed] Recently added filter won't show up in the filter editor #3340
  • [Fixed] List of built-in DNS servers is doubled on UI #3456
  • [Fixed] Selecting Simplified Chinese leads to problems with subscriptions #3457
  • [Other] Exit from "License" tab via clicking "Esc" #3385
  • [Other] Do not block Exit in context menu when service is failed #3403
  • [Other] "Not Found" icon carries over to other Settings sections #3413
  • [Other] Change the priority of languages for the situation without zh-TW translations. #3442
  • [Other] Wrongly use zh-CN encoding in zh-TW interface everywhere. (v7.5 beta 1) #3443
  • [Other] UI crashes during localization process for ZH-cn locale #3470
Upgraded CoreLibs to v1.7.54
  • [Fixed] Unhandled C++ Exception in finishWithResult() #939
  • [Fixed] Problematic userscripts #1273
  • [Fixed] Process name detection causes scary warnings in Windows Security #1316
  • [Fixed] Filtering log doesn't show information about cookies #3406
  • [Other] ERR_CONNECTION_RESET #3468
Upgraded DnsLibs to v1.3.10
  • Minor changes

L

Local Host

The Windows Tracking options just broke the majorly of Microsoft APPs, this why I avoid such tools and options, they just end up breaking the system in general.

Thankfully was easy to solve (turning the options back off on Adguard is not enough), was just testing anyway to see if Adguard was less intrusive than other tools, but is just as problematic.

F

ForgottenSeer 78429

The DNS feature is not something I have turned on either. On Android however thats another story, i do use Adguard DNS in one of my phones.
True, on android DNS Filtering blocks a lot of ads in all apps. One can add new filters along with Adguard Simplified domain names Filter. I have turned on Steven Black's Host and 1Host Mini and these two have blocked 94k queries out of 109k. There is not so much left to do for NextDNS afterwards.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I was just about to say this was a great step for AdGuard, even considered re-installing. But...
The Windows Tracking options just broke the majorly of Microsoft APPs, this why I avoid such tools and options, they just end up breaking the system in general.

Thankfully was easy to solve (turning the options back off on Adguard is not enough), was just testing anyway to see if Adguard was less intrusive than other tools, but is just as problematic.
I don't know why am I surprised, lol. I'll stick again with uBlock in PC, I still use AdGuard for Android.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
There’s one sure fire way to make sure windows doesn’t phone home. But, if you don’t like OSX or Linux, I don’t think M$ cares about individuals. Just aggregated data to help them sell more products/subscriptions. But AdGuard keeps on working to improve and I think that’s just fantastic!

SearchLight

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
You are free to use any doh provider with this update. If you are not using vpn this is good feature to have with adguard.
View attachment 245405

I set up Nextdns Secure DNS over HTTPS in my Router, and then configured Google Chrome and Firefox to use same. I am using UbO with some of the recommended filters suggested by forum members and gurus here on MT.

I have a license for Adguard, and I do use a VPN. If I use Adguard with their DNS module, does that mean "any" browser I use will utilize Secure DNS without browser configuration, and that I can eliminate UbO?

Sounds too good to be true for the PC. On my mobile to use NextDNS, I am using a DNS changer rather than their own app which lingers after I shut it off in the notification tray, although if I understand correctly, I can use Adguard in my mobile too, and I guess with same notion of Secure DNS?

What do you think?

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
I have a license for Adguard, and I do use a VPN. If I use Adguard with their DNS module, does that mean "any" browser I use will utilize Secure DNS without browser configuration, and that I can eliminate UbO?
Yes if you configure dns module on adguard, it will intercept all port 53 traffic from any browser to your configured doh in adguard and you can disable ubo( nextdns+ adguard+ubo is too much).
On my mobile to use NextDNS, I am using a DNS changer rather than their own app which lingers after I shut it off in the notification tray, although if I understand correctly, I can use Adguard in my mobile too, and I guess with same notion of Secure DNS
if you are using android 9 or later, there is an option in network settings called " private DNS" just save your tls configuration in it and you are done.

1. Go to Settings → Network & internet → Advanced → Private DNS.
2. Select the Private DNS provider hostname option.
3. Enter xxxxxx.dns.nextdns.io and hit Save.
...........Replace " xxxxxx" with your configuration id.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I fitted AdGuard to several others PC's but using IVPN along with it causes a large drop in down-speed - Still a good program & got several lifetime licenses for a pittance - IVPN alone OK, Adguard alone OK also :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.