New Update AdGuard for Windows - Stable Updates Thread

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
I think you can save those bucks and just use Nextdns, for windows integration( for encrypted dns) use Yoga dns as it won't interfere with vpn connections. If you need cosmetic filters just use UBO ( just the cosmetic filters turned on).

Depending on your needs.
Adguard is the king if you appreciate elements filtering and cosmetic filtering. Also, the lifetime licences are a steal.
NextDNS as with any DNS solution can only filter domains and cosmetic filtering is out of the question.

F

ForgottenSeer 78429

AdGuard for Windows v.7.5.2 (from October 5, 2020)
I installed Adguard(6 month trial from Comss.ru) today and I am really surprised. About 2 months ago browsing with Adguard Desktop was very slow for me but now it is way much better and best part is, it is low on resource usage for me.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
The Windows Tracking options just broke the majorly of Microsoft APPs, this why I avoid such tools and options, they just end up breaking the system in general.

Thankfully was easy to solve (turning the options back off on Adguard is not enough), was just testing anyway to see if Adguard was less intrusive than other tools, but is just as problematic.
Stealth Mode is off by default in the new version 7.5.2

FireHammer

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 27, 2020
Hi, Adguard is the best, I have it installed though I use VPNs, when I do not use my VPNs I have the Adguard DNS enabled, it is really rock solid software.
I have used it only in browsers in the past, but this month 1/10-20 I decided to purchase the Adguard App, it works wonders for you.
I am really impressed.:):love:

F

ForgottenSeer 78429

Does anyone use AdGuard Home? I installed it on my laptop as a service. I am really surprised that it was so easier to install. I don't think anyone would need to use NextDNS on Windows. Also it supports all protocols DoT, DoH & DNScrypt. Although I am using NextDNS along with AdGuard Home because it is only DNS provider which have fastest resolving time other than Google at my location. Best thing is that you can use any provider which is the fastest and add filters to make it like NextDNS. On Android, with mobile data on, NextDNS is the only option.

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
Taking AdGuard for WIndows for a trial run having previously been using UBO & AdGuard AdBlocker extension but have a few questions about the DNS module. (I don't use anything like NextDNS currently).

Is there any merit to enabling the DNS setting within AdGuard for Windows and if so do you need to change any IPv4 & 6 settings on your network adapter? AdGuard for Windows doesn't prompt you to but if you choose AdGuard's AdGuard DNS product on their website it does.

Also if you do enable the DNS setting in AdGuard for Windows, choose say the AdGuard DNS option and also add the AdGuardDNS filter list do you still keep AdGuard Base filter enabled too (ie are they complimentary)?

Last edited:

Jan Willy

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
Also if you do enable the DNS setting in AdGuard for Windows, choose say the AdGuard DNS option and also add the AdGuardDNS filter list do you still keep AdGuard Base filter enabled too (ie are they complimentary)?
Explanation from AdGuard Ad Filters | AdGuard Knowledgebase
DNS filter — composed of several other filters (AdGuard Base filter, Social media filter, Spyware filter, Mobile ads filter, EasyList and EasyPrivacy) and simplified specifically to be better compatible with DNS-level ad blocking. This filter is used by AdGuard DNS servers to block ads and tracking.

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
Another question for experienced AdGuard for Windows (or other DNS-level software) users again on the subject of DNS Filtering... if you use AdGuard DNS it defaults to DNS-over-HTTPS but in AdGuard's knowledgebase they also mention DNSCrypt which is another of the options. Would you recommend using instead of DNS-over-HTTPS? Any thoughts/views welcomed :)

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I'm testing my configs now. Here's a particularly nasty ad that appears to be Facebook-derived and I can't seem to get rid of it. Tried: the element blocker (AG Browser Assistant has one), turning on/off various lists, enabling the default anti-Facebook list. It disappears w/the Element Blocker but returns when the page is refreshed.

Browser is Edge with the Strict protocol enabled. Anyone know about this one? If not, I guess I can submit it to the AdGuard team. Scroll down to the end of the article to locate the ad:

What to Know About Timing and Distribution of Coronavirus Vaccines | National News | US News

Snip of the ad:
usnwp ad.PNG

Snip of the ad using the Blocker.
usnwpad2.png

Oh and Cloudflare DNS w/DOH enabled. It's subject to change tho' --like everything else on here.

Edit: writing my own rule to block the smartasset.com domain didn't work either. Several enabled lists already supposedly block Facebook's various tentacles. Hmm, I'll try submitting this to AdGuard and will update this post.

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I'm testing my configs now. Here's a particularly nasty ad that appears to be Facebook-derived and I can't seem to get rid of it. Tried: the element blocker (AG Browser Assistant has one), turning on/off various lists, enabling the default anti-Facebook list. It disappears w/the Element Blocker but returns when the page is refreshed.

Browser is Edge with the Strict protocol enabled. Anyone know about this one? If not, I guess I can submit it to the AdGuard team. Scroll down to the end of the article to locate the ad:

What to Know About Timing and Distribution of Coronavirus Vaccines | National News | US News

Snip of the ad:

Snip of the ad using the Blocker.

Oh and Cloudflare DNS w/DOH enabled. It's subject to change tho' --like everything else on here.

Edit: writing my own rule to block the smartasset.com domain didn't work either. Several enabled lists already supposedly block Facebook's various tentacles. Hmm, I'll try submitting this to AdGuard and will update this post.
I don't see any ad with uBO/Adguard extension. Report to the Adguard team.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.