New Update AdGuard for Windows - Stable Updates Thread

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
OK you guys don't see this specific ad? It's at the end of the article I linked above, below the author's name. The heading is "Compare Bank Accounts"--you don't see this? Look at the first snip to get an idea. Now, I'm really bewildered. Reinstated uBO just now and enabled/updated most of the default lists and it's still there. The Element Picker clears it but when I went to expand it to capture it completely, this happens:

smartassetblock.PNG

I've been tinkering with this thing off and on most of the day. :mad: I'll try again tomorrow, I guess. Maybe I am missing a blocklist that needs to be imported, I don't know.

Edit: I turned off another extension, Trace, and was able to get the ad fully expanded. Then, I used AG's Element Blocker again to remove the ad completely. It did, but if the page is refreshed, it's back again. Hmm, definitely a puzzle here. :unsure:

expanded ad usnwp.PNG

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
OK you guys don't see this specific ad? It's at the end of the article I linked above, below the author's name. The heading is "Compare Bank Accounts"--you don't see this? Look at the first snip to get an idea. Now, I'm really bewildered. Reinstated uBO just now and enabled/updated most of the default lists and it's still there. The Element Picker clears it but when I went to expand it to capture it completely, this happens:

I've been tinkering with this thing off and on most of the day. :mad: I'll try again tomorrow, I guess. Maybe I am missing a blocklist that needs to be imported, I don't know.

Edit: I turned off another extension, Trace, and was able to get the ad fully expanded. Then, I used AG's Element Blocker again to remove the ad completely. It did, but if the page is refreshed, it's back again. Hmm, definitely a puzzle here. :unsure:

Still nothing
ss.jpg

Jan Willy

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
Another question for experienced AdGuard for Windows (or other DNS-level software) users again on the subject of DNS Filtering... if you use AdGuard DNS it defaults to DNS-over-HTTPS but in AdGuard's knowledgebase they also mention DNSCrypt which is another of the options. Would you recommend using instead of DNS-over-HTTPS? Any thoughts/views welcomed :)
I'm not an expert in this area, but probably DNSCypt has an advantage regarding privacy. Quote from DNS filtering | AdGuard Knowledgebase:
'If you care about your online privacy, we strongly recommend using DNSCrypt as an important part of your defence suit.'
Maybe other MT-members can give more details about DNSCrypt.

Reactions: JasonUK

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
I'm not an expert in this area, but probably DNSCypt has an advantage regarding privacy. Quote from DNS filtering | AdGuard Knowledgebase:
'If you care about your online privacy, we strongly recommend using DNSCrypt as an important part of your defence suit.'
Maybe other MT-members can give more details about DNSCrypt.
I'm leaning that way but on reading further this doesn't seem to be a widely accepted standard.. but as long as the DNS server AdGuard is communicating with does I don't suppose that's really a big issue?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jan Willy
L

Local Host

No ads,
1606739155096.png
I'm only using Adguard Filters as well,
  • Adguard Base filter
  • Adguard Tracking Protection filter
  • Adguard Annoyances filter

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I'm using Adguard Desktop on default settings, NO ads visible to me as well on your posted website below...

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Well, sincere apologies for getting a little shrill here, that wasn't the intention for sure.

Scaled back the filter lists to AdGuard-only and it disappears, at least when I'm on the page. If I leave and come back, voila, there it is. Cleared my browsing history and everything.

Since it seems to be an issue limited to this machine, I'm not going to pester anyone at AdGuard about it. Wasn't there a warning via the UI prev. about having too many lists enabled? It does seem that too many cooks spoil things so good lesson learned. Thanks! (y)

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
Still playing with DNS filtering on Adguard for windows as I noticed a slowdown of websites loading after I enabling the feature.

Decided to run some ping tests (ping www.google.com) using each of the main options to see if any were noticeable quicker or slower. Each 'score' was the average of three ping tests (each ping itself takes an average of 4 requests so 'score' is actually an average of 12 requests to server).

Capture.JPG

Edit: Second Google DNS entry should have read DoT Protocol.

Interesting set of results from my location. Adguard didn't fare well. Cloudflare has very good reputation particularly on privacy. Google did well as did Quad9. For me it was down to a choice between Cloudflare & Quad9. I opted for Quad9 with DNSCrypt for now.

Last edited:

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Still playing with DNS filtering on Adguard for windows as I noticed a slowdown of websites loading after I enabling the feature.

Decided to run some ping tests (ping www.google.com) using each of the main options to see if any were noticeable quicker or slower. Each 'score' was the average of three ping tests (each ping itself takes an average of 4 requests so 'score' is actually an average of 12 requests to server).

View attachment 250087
Edit: Second Google DNS entry should have read DoT Protocol.

Interesting set of results from my location. Adguard didn't fare well. Cloudflare has very good reputation particularly on privacy. Google did well as did Quad9. For me it was down to a choice between Cloudflare & Quad9. I opted for Quad9 with DNSCrypt for now.
It all depends upon the dns service provider, the closest the server the faster it is. I think anything below 50 ms is good enough for casual browsing ( online gaming- i don't know)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

9724anon7537

Level 2
Verified
Jun 12, 2018
Reactions: Jan Willy

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Usually, it takes us north of 2-3 beta versions to prepare the next AdGuard for Windows release. But not this time: the first (and only) beta for v7.6 carried enough impact on its own. We added custom DNS filters, DNS-over-QUIC support for AdGuard DNS, and, of course, made the app compatible with AdGuard VPN.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.