New Update AdGuard for Windows - Stable Updates Thread

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I noticed that browsing slows down considerably when some features are activated or more lists are added from what's offered. Thinks speeded up when I reset settings to default. To minimize the cookie notification popups in some sites, I also had to activate Fanboy's Annoyances.

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
For now, yes, and it was able to stop cookie popups in at least one site. I will visit other sites and see if a second list will work, then report to this thread. For now, I want to minimize adding more lists or even activating features.

Edit: I was able to block video popups in a second site using the Web Annoyances ultralist plus cookie notifications in another site, so I'll try that and deactivate Fanboy Annoyances first.

L

Local Host

I noticed that browsing slows down considerably when some features are activated or more lists are added from what's offered. Thinks speeded up when I reset settings to default. To minimize the cookie notification popups in some sites, I also had to activate Fanboy's Annoyances.
Ever since Adguard changed the person responsible for the Annoyances filter, it has been useless at best.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I noticed that if I use Fanboy's Annoyances, then on this forum I have this problem:

I did not have even the copy button:
1631108091113.png

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Filters i use :

Adguards own filters
- adguard base filter
- adguard url tracking filter
- adguard tracking protection filter
- adguard social media filter
- adguard annoyances filter

Other built in filters i have enabled:
- no coin filterlist
- ablock for finland

Imported filters:

- 1hosts lite

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
AdGuard for Windows version 7.8 from December 16, 2021
We once again reviewed GitHub repo and realized that we had been working for almost six months on version 7.7. And less than two months on version 7.8. Yes, there were fewer tasks in this version, but we did a good job on improving everything: Browsing Security, network drivers, CoreLibs and DNSLibs, other minor features, and – hopefully – your user experience.

[Enhancement] Browsing Security
Browsing Security is a module that blocks requests to malicious and phishing websites. You might have seen a nice looking banner caringly stating "AdGuard has blocked access to this page": that's what Browsing Security does. Now it's working a way better: requests for information about malicious domains are not sent to a server, but to a periodically updated database stored locally on your computer. This is faster and safer.

[Enhancement] WFP and TDI network drivers

We've also updated and enhanced our network drivers for Windows – WFP and TDI. Both have been helpful, among other things, to improve compatibility with other applications.

Other good stuff
And of course, there is no release without updating CoreLibs, our main filtering engine, and DNSLibs. Meet their new versions: more flexible, more powerful. As always: minor bugs have been fixed. As always: perfection has no limits.

Hope that your holidays will be safer with AdGuard.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Filters i use :

Adguards own filters
- adguard base filter
- adguard url tracking filter
- adguard tracking protection filter
- adguard social media filter
- adguard annoyances filter

Other built in filters i have enabled:
- no coin filterlist
- ablock for finland

Imported filters:

- 1hosts lite
Hi, isn't it better to also add easy privacy?

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

AdGuard for Windows 7.12​

Release date: January 30, 2023

Two most important changes in this release: protection is turned on and off faster and DNS protection is now enabled by default. We’ve also fixed some bugs, updated CoreLibs and DnsLibs, and improved the WFP and TDI network drivers.

Protection is turned on and off faster​

We’ve significantly reworked everything “under the hood”, thus improving the app performance: protection is now enabled, disabled, and reloaded much faster. Previously, because of the long startup and restart of the protection, the implementation of rules and other protection features could be delayed or could even cause a web resource to “leak” past the protection. Some connections could remain unfiltered. And after all, it was very annoying for the user to watch the long startup of the app. Starting with this version, it won’t happen again.

DNS protection is enabled by default​

Now, if you have just installed AdGuard, DNS protection is automatically turned on. By default, the ISP's DNS server is used, and for security, AdGuard DNS filter is enabled: ads, trackers, and requests for malicious domains will be automatically blocked. To increase security, you can always select a DNS server from the list or add a custom one (for example, a private AdGuard DNS server) via Settings → DNS protection. DNS filtering allows AdGuard to catch ads and trackers even before the browser tries to connect to the ad server. So this update has also helped us improve the speed and quality of ad blocking. On top of that, DNS protection makes blocking “hidden” trackers more effective.

Changelog​

Enhancement​

• DNS protection is enabled by default, the DNS server of the ISP is used #4534

Added​

• The option to filter traffic at system start-up without launching the app #4454
  • PIX-LINK router/repeater domains to fallback domains #170
  • Support for Catsxp Browser #4326
  • An option to delete installation logs when reinstalling the app #4493
  • Dark theme for the installer app 3048

Fixed​

• AdGuard doesn’t start after rebooting #4502
  • AdGuard freezes after filter update #4456
  • If “Blocked” is selected in the filtering log, all requests are shown #4525
  • The app doesn't update automatically in the background in Windows 7 #4494
  • Unable to install userscripts that include @ in the link #4397
  • Metadata updating error for HaGeZi DynDNS Blocklist #4475
  • The main window opens at system startup despite checkbox is unchecked #4546
  • Filtering and userscripts do not work with Norton 360 installed #1712
  • Compatibility issue for the google-ima3 redirect #272
  • Compatibility issue between prevent-addEventListener and userscripts #271
  • Issue with isEmptyObject() #268
  • Error when updating/reinstalling the AdGuard Popup Blocker userscript #4574

Updated​

• CoreLibs to v1.10.189 #4563
  • DnsLibs to v2.0.75 #4562
  • Scriptlets to v1.7.20

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Before a big release, it's a good idea to double-check everything and get rid of even the smallest problems. That's why today we're launching a release candidate of AdGuard v7.13 for Windows.

We’ve updated CoreLibs and DnsLibs, fixed a few bugs, including the compatibility issue with NordVPN, and improved the Browser Assistant.

Changelog​

Fixes​

• NordVPN interferes with the work of AdGuard if AdGuard’s DNS module is enabled #4673
  • Upon exiting AdGuard, the Assistant indicates that AdGuard is not installed or misconfigured #4663
  • Incorrect translation in the updater window #4640
  • Disabling the Enable traffic filtering option does not stop filtering #4657
  • The path modifier does not work on yandex.ru/images #1738
  • The $jsonprune modifier can’t handle jsonp #1717
  • Filtering does not work on websites with dot at the end #1741
  • In some cases filtering doesn’t work on Google-related websites (e.g. youtube.com) #4480

Versions​

• CoreLibs updated to v1.11.86 #4678
  • DnsLibs updated to v2.1.37 #4686

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
AdGuard 7.13 released:
As spring arrives, AdGuard for Windows unveils its latest release, complete with numerous new features and improvements.

Experimental Encrypted ClientHello support
Notably, the addition of experimental support for Encrypted ClientHello (ECH) is worth mentioning. This new technology fully encrypts HTTPS connections, concealing server names you are connecting to from ISPs and ensuring complete privacy.

So that you can benefit from it, we’ve added the Use Encrypted ClientHello feature to the Advanced settings section and enabled DNS protection by default for all users.

New Advanced settings
We’ve also added 16 more features to the Advanced settings section. A detailed description of each feature can be found in our Knowledge base.

All new advanced features can be divided into six groups:
  • Anti DPI options allow to modify packets at a low level during filtering to prevent tracking via deep packet inspection
    • Adjust size of fragmentation of initial TLS packet
    • Add an extra space to the plain HTTP request
    • Plain HTTP request fragment size
  • Keepalive settings allow to configure settings to work with keepalive connections
    • Enable TCP keepalive
    • TCP keepalive interval
    • TCP keepalive timeout
  • Filtering exclusion settings allow to exclude both Wi-Fi networks and particular subnets (specified in the CIDR notation) from DNS filtering
    • Exclude specified IP ranges from filtering
    • IP ranges excluded from filtering
    • Exclude specified Wi-Fi network names (SSID) from DNS filtering
  • DNS-related options allow to fine-tune DNS settings
    • Use fallback DNS upstreams
    • Use HTTP/3 for DNS-over-HTTPS
    • Query DNS upstreams in parallel
    • Always respond to failed DNS queries
  • Certificate security options allow to check certificates of websites and web services
    • Check websites' certificate transparency
    • Enable asynchronous OCSP SSL/TLS certificate revocation checks
  • Enable filtering at system start-up. Now by default, AdGuard for Windows does not filter traffic after OS startup if the option Launch AdGuard at system start-up is disabled. If you want filtering to be performed even if AdGuard is not launched, you should enable this option.
Note that before v7.12 the AdGuard's service started in filtering mode by default (even if the Launch AdGuard at system start-up was disabled). If you were satisfied with the old behavior, enable this option.

What else? Aside from the regular CoreLibs and DnsLibs updates, we’ve updated WFP and TDI drivers and ExtendedCSS. We’ve also allowed to disable the Filter localhost advanced feature. But be aware that disabling this feature will prevent AdGuard Ad Blocker and AdGuard VPN from working simultaneously.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
For Encrypted ClientHello technology to work, it must be supported on both client and server sides. Today, ECH support is implemented in a limited number of applications. Chrome and Firefox, for example, are in the process of adding it. Here we have no choice but to wait. But thanks to AdGuard, ECH support will automatically work in all apps and browsers on your device.

To check whether ECH is working, you can:
  1. Go to https://crypto.cloudflare.com/cdn-cgi/trace/ and see if it says sni=encrypted.

cloudflare_ech.png

1. Go to https://defo.ie/ech-check.php and check if it says SSL_ECH_STATUS: success.

defo.ie_ech.png

As the Use Encrypted ClientHello feature is experimental, it may also lower your browsing speed a bit. But, we're currently working on solving this issue.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.