Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
In iOS 15 Apple has added the support for so-called Safari Web Extensions. This is truly a revolutionary change, no need to tone it down. Safari has become the first iOS browser to support browser extensions that we all know and love. Yes, the extensions in Safari are somewhat limited in their capabilities compared to their desktop counterparts, but it should not take away from Apple and the team that worked on this innovation.

What it means for you
Ok, but how will this change impact AdGuard ad blocker? After all, AdGuard uses Content Blocking API to block ads in Safari that — or rather, has been using it up until now. Web Extensions open the door to a completely new world filled with new opportunities.

The thing is, due to their "declarative" nature regular content blocking rules are quite narrow in terms of what you can achieve with them. The obvious example is blocking YouTube ads in Safari: it's a hard and non-trivial task, up to the point that we had had to add a special shortcut that needed to be prompted manually every time you opened YouTube.

Forget about that like it's never happened. We added a new module to AdGuard called "Advanced Protection", and it's called like that for a reason. It takes advantage of, well, advanced filtering rules (like CSS rules, selectors, and scriptlets) and therefore can deal even with the complex ads, like the aforementioned YouTube variety. And it will do so without any manual input. It just works!
This is one of the biggest level-ups in the history of AdGuard for iOS. Web extensions open so many new avenues, we actually felt like a kid in a candy shop. Hopefully, you share our enthusiasm! So what are you waiting for? Go and show them ads who's boss! The update is already available in the app, or you can download AdGuard for iOS anew from the AppStore.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Sounds big..

Not available on the Pro version.
Not yet...

It is at version 4.2.2 and in the changelog is stated:
A minor update. We changed one line to be consistent with iOS 15.

Our current focus is v4.3; it has a cool innovative feature that augments ad blocking quality. We intend to release it in the next few weeks. Stay tuned!

I don't understand the reason for a separate pro version.
I use the "normal" version on my iPad activated with my AdGuard family license.
What is difference with the pro version?

Arequire

Level 28
Verified
Top poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
What is difference with the pro version?
AdGuard Pro includes the following features:

- Custom filters. Add your own filters by URL even if they are not on the default list.

- DNS privacy. Blocking regular online trackers is not enough if you want to assure 100% protection of your online privacy. Choose any of the user-favorite DNS providers or configure a custom DNS server.

- Security filters. Protect yourself from dangerous websites riddled with cryptojacking or fraud.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Thanks @Arequire but I can also do that in the normal version activated with my license.

Found that nowadays there is no difference in the Pro FAQ on AdGuard's website:
What the difference between AdGuard for iOS and AdGuard for iOS Pro?

Long time ago, AdGuard Pro was our only app that offered premium functionality, in contrast to the free AdGuard for iOS app that was only intended to block ads in Safari. Today both apps are basically interchangeable and you can choose whichever you prefer. (and you really don't need both). You can read more about the situation of our iOS apps in this article.

amirr

Level 26
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Hi, is this free or the user must purchase it first?

I see its paid. Is that one-time purchase or user must pay for it yearly?

1649713735643.png

Trooper

Level 16
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Hi, is this free or the user must purchase it first?

I see its paid. Is that one-time purchase or user must pay for it yearly?

View attachment 265785

There is another version of Adguard for iOS, there you can choose "Premium Lifetime" my purchase was 3 or 4 years ago. App versions updates and new features were always included.