Admin rights underpin many Windows exploits, analysis finds

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Organisations could dramatically cut their exposure to vulnerabilities in Microsoft software simply by limiting Windows admin rights, an analysis by BeyondTrust has reminded the world.

Using flaw data drawn from Microsoft’s security bulletins throughout 2010, removing admin rights for users of Office and Internet Explorer would have mitigated security worries in 100 percent of cases.

Overall, of the 256 vulnerabilities published by the company during the year, 163, or 64 percent, would have been mitigated by removing admin rights. On the operating system side, 76 out of 162 flaws could be avoided using the same tactic.

Of the 142 Windows 7 flaws ever made public, 42 percent would be mitigated by removing admin rights.

More Info

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
I really like this quote:
Patching alone doesn’t protect the enterprise, because so many vulnerabilities are undiscovered and others could take weeks to patch. Removing administrative privileges from users is the only way to eliminate the vast majority of risk that comes from these vulnerabilities.

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
I hereby rest my case about LUAs :)

Realistically speaking, using chrome (for the sandbox), EMET and a LUA makes exploits a non-issue.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.