Administrator Account vs Standard/Limited User Account

Do you use mostly admin or standard/limited account?

• Total voters

Azure

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Since this a security forum, I thought it would be nice to see how many of our members bother creating a Standard User Account or simply use the default Admin User Account.

Anyone is free to explain their own reasoning for choosing a type of account if he/she wants to.

Currently I use a Standard User Account. Decided to try one a few days ago, and so far I like it. I don't find it that much annoying or bothersome(so far)

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
I'm mostly using the admin account with UAC enabled. But i also have on every machine
a standard user account. Some time ago i could read that:
*) only the standard acc. have the full protection.
*) The Admin account (even with UAC enabled) does NOT have the full protection....

but on the other side i also coulld read several times that it's safe to use an admin account with UAC enabled...
so i still don't know exactly what to do... and I'm stll looking for informations on the web to answaer this question

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
go for admin account with UAC set at highest.

UAC was developed because people were not using the standard account.

i find standard account annoying. i frequently install and update software's. So standard account does not help.

i think UAC is all about securing windows OS files.
but the most important thing to protect is user data files. SO you need to take other measures to protect your data files.

D

Deleted member 178

From Fixer (ReHIPS dev.)

- Elevated admin: Maximum access rights, can read+write from everywhere across file system and registry.

- Non-elevated admin (LUA): Slightly restricted read rights (some files may be SYSTEM read-only, but elevated admin can take the ownership and grant any access rights to itself and LUA can't do it, but there are few system locations like this+other users' profile folders and registry hives are also inaccessible) and restricted write rights (restricted for the same reason as reading is restricted, but there are significantly more locations, like Program Files, Windows, System32, etc and HKLM registry hive). But this user is vulnerable to LUA elevation and may become elevated admin.

- Non-admin user ( SUA): The same as LUA, but without elevation vulnerability for the cost of usability.

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
To be honest I'm too lazy & can't bother to type my password again & again while working, I really don't like limitations so I never go with standard user account, there's nothing to worry as I never try anything random, ublock keeps chrome safe from random adds, mbae protects from exploits, anti virus or anti malware keeps computer safe from viruses, still if anything happens firewall is always there in the backup...

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Admin acct. all the way, I have found that elements of some of my gaming software and associated software were having a hard time updating in windows 7 Ultimate x64
so I enabled the Admin acct. and I have been hooked ever since :p
rofl@ ravi :cool:

N

NullByte

On Linux I always use limited account.

On Windows I always used Administrator account, I didn't see the point of using limited account since I was the only one using my PC and most of the time the user will install the malware.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Always used an Admin account, and always will. It would be way too much of an hassle for me to go around my system faily with a Standard user account.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.