Adobe Flash Player Tediousness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
How come that every time I go to get a new version of Adobe Flash that the new version crashes repeatedly and up until that point it is a pain just to find an Adobe Flash that will actually download?? I have run into this scenario the last three times I have gone to upgrade.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
Heard that. I need a good one. I am so tired of Adobe products. I mean usually, once I finally get Flash, it works great, but I am tired of the runaround when I go to get the new non-beta player.
Adobe Reader was a joke. I have Foxit Reader, so what would be a good alternate flash player?
Went to Adobe site, and came away with a new homepage, a new McAfee scan tool and an crashing, brand new, Adobe Flash. I made sure not to accept toolbars, but somehow I ended up with a new homepage that keeps coming back and I removed that stupid McAfee scanner. That is precisely what happened when I temporarily closed Ghostery so my download would continue.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Yes, uninstalling the old version of Flash is recommended (using the uninstaller), then rebooting and after the reboot, installing the new version. Gnosis, bookmark this link for the future.
http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html#main_Download_the_Adobe_Flash_Player_uninstaller

You can get Flash installers from here. NOTHING comes bundled with installers from this link. You can use either the EXE or MSI. Lately, I have been using the MSI.
http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html

After installing new Flash versions, I always delete the task that Flash puts in Task scheduler and also disable the Flash updater in Services. What I have described is my routine for uninstalling and installing Flash.

Bo

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
on this page you can get the manual installer for the Adobe Flashplayer and you do not get the other offerings
just look down the page for this part for the download

"Progress bar hangs during download / Unable to connect to server / Unable to download metafile"
Reason: The Flash Player installer sometimes has trouble working in some firewall proxy server environments.
Workaround: Download the Adobe Flash Player installer directly by clicking one of the following links.

Flash Player for ActiveX (Internet Explorer)<------manual installer for Ie 7,8

Flash Player Plug-in (All other browsers)<------manual installer for Firefox

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html#main-pars_heading_10

i would also try uninstalling and reinstalling with the manual install like cruelsister says
the uninstaller page is here

Adobe Flashplayer uninstaller download page
http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html

:)

James

p.s.

sorry bo.elam we must of posted at the sametime lol
i did not see your post at the time i posted mine :)

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
jim lin said:
sorry bo.elam we must of posted at the sametime lol
i did not see your post at the time i posted mine :)

Nothing to be sorry about Jim. You and Cruelsister handle Flash pretty much like I do. I think the way we describe the process is the correct way to do things regarding Flash.

I ll add the following for people having many problems with Flash. In some computers, Flash protected mode can cause problems or conflicts, sometimes disabling PM in Flash can help. Also, deleting the Macromedia folder might help to do a clean install of Flash.

(Windows 32bit) C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash
(Windows 64bit) C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash

Bo

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
Thank you everyone.
FYI: I have been using Revo Pro in the past to uninstall prior versions of Flash before installing the latest.

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
I never had Flash download problems.

Download latest version: v11.9.900.152:

First: I click on Favorites link:
Adobe Flash Player Version Information: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

I click on: 'Download' section above, then: Adobe Flash Player: http://get.adobe.com/fr/flashplayer/

- then I unnotch ( one case to unnotch only): dual offer for Google Chrome with Google toolbar,

- then click on 'Install Now' button,

- then on 'Execute', two times,

- and then I notch 'Never search for updates' ..

- 'Next' button,

- Finished button - that's all.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
@Pro
I did all of that too, once I FINALLY found a way to begin to download on their site as a result of Ghostery interfering with the installation of Adobe Flash (hard to believe, I know)

And I get this lovely error message after my last attempt: "Error #2044: Unhandled IOErrorEvent:. text=Error #2035: URL Not Found.." I am probably better off grabbing a Restore Point, don't ya think? Besides that, I see said error message EVERY TIME I actually utilize Flash on YouTube, etc. This is laughable.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Most likely one or more of your security products are causing problems with your Flash Player installation. Exit all of your security products (completely shutdown), make sure to have all of your browser closed also, then run the installation.

Try this product to keep your flash Player updated without the adware bundles- http://pxc-coding.com/portfolio/alternative-flash-player-auto-updater/

Must be run as Admin and configured in the whitelists of your security products.

Thanks. :D

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
Used provided uninstaller link and reinstalled. Now I cannot control the volume. lol

haxxor

Nov 28, 2013
i have no problems with adobe flash player. if you want to, try silverlight by microsoft.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
I have had a lot of buggy issues with Adobe Flash and Acrobat.
I do like their player, but when I go to get a new one it is a mess.
I won't let it update anymore either. I was getting BSOD's everytime the crazy thing tried to update. After each reboot following a BSOD, guess what was the first thing to pop up every time; ADOBE UPDATE

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Gnosis, the first thing that I do after updating Flash, before rebooting, is delete the update task that's placed by Flash in Control Panel>Task scheduler (every time after you update). And also disable the Flash update service in Control panel >Services. I recommend you do the same.

Bo

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
I agree. Been listening to ya. I have implemented all of your strategies except for the cleaning, after I update. That made sense.

Thanks

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Gnosis said:
I have implemented all of your strategies except for the cleaning, after I update. That made sense.

Yes, deleting the Macromedia folder is not necessary unless you want to do a pretty clean install. Everything else is a routine. Save the link that I posted, installers there never bundle anything.

Bo

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.