Adobe sneaks a google chrome extension in latest security update to collect data

Solarquest

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
Adobe rolled out security updates for its software on Tuesday, but in addition to fixes for vulnerabilities, users also received something they didn’t actually quite expect: a Google Chrome extension that was sneakily installed on their systems.

SwiftOnSecurity revealed on Twitter that the latest Adobe Reader update also deploys a Google Chrome extension that includes telemetry features to collect data from users’ computers.

The extension is simply called “Adobe Acrobat” and is automatically added to Google Chrome when installing the security update, but it does require users to enable it when launching the browser.

What’s more unusual, however, is that the extension asks for several permissions, including “read and change all your data on the websites you visit, manage your downloads, and communicate with cooperative native applications.”

The original purpose of the application is to allow users to convert a website to a PDF document and then open it in Adobe Reader, which provides more features that the PDF reader integrated into Google Chrome. Converting sites to PDF, however, requires a paid version of Acrobat, so without this, it’s essentially just a PDF reader and nothing more.
Telemetry data

And what’s worse is that this PDF reader also collects some data and sends it to Adobe’s servers. In an advisory, Adobe says that it’s only collecting browser type and version, Adobe product information such as version, and Adobe feature usage such as menu options or buttons selected. No personal information is being collected, Adobe says.

But this doesn’t make things less worse, as Adobe itself hasn’t said a single thing about bundling a Google Chrome extension into a security update that pretty much all of its users are expected to install.

The extension does ask for permission before getting enabled, but users are not being prompted to allow the install during deployment of the security patch. So essentially, Adobe is putting a telemetry data collection extension on everyone’s systems without even telling them about it and hoping that no one would notice.

At the time of publishing this article, Adobe hasn’t yet provided a statement regarding this unusual push for the extension, but given the criticism that has quickly emerged following this decision, expect some comments to be released soon.

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
Anyone use the "direct download links"? They are allowed as they are available to the general public, unlike the old distribution3 ones.

I only used Adobe Reader DC for the Fill and Sign capabiloties, I guess I will be switching to Nitro PDF or Reader. They don't pull this mess. They are catching up with Adobe feature wise, and are reasonably priced. They fix vulnerabilities fast, and aren't as buggy.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with them, and this is not an advertisement promoting their product. I am just an end user.

Reactions: DardiM and SHvFl

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
Collecting user data is the new currency. "Free" software indeed.

I have no extensions on my Chrome, including Google's. Google's spying on me is sufficient, I don't need other corporations to pile on.

Reactions: DardiM and SHvFl

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Google has safeguards against Extensions being installed by third-party software.

As seen by the Twitter post | Link

Chrome notifies users of any potential changes to the way the browser works.
C11nKlTUsAEa8KS.jpg

It's sneaky but preventable. Thank Google.

Vipersd

Level 6
Verified
Dec 14, 2014
Data collection by itself is not the ultimate problem, it is the way that is done. Nice and understandable explanation before installation of this kind of PUP would give Adobe and similar companies much more data then they gather now.

Simply put Adobe says: we need some data about preferred browser that is used, AV, AM software so we can adjust our products to it and make a little money on the side is much more approachable then sneaking it.

Reactions: DardiM and shukla44

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.