Adware Program Takes Screenshot of Your Desktop and Uploads It Online

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Lawrence Abrams, security researcher for Bleeping Computer, has stumbled upon a new type of adware that's not content on just blasting you with ads and collecting data on your system, but also on secretly taking a screenshot of your desktop and uploading it online.

Called Faster Internet, the program comes bundled with other legitimate software, but once installed is when the real damage will be done.

The first thing it will do is to record details regarding each user's PC setup, a technique called fingerprinting, often used in advertising to distinguish between different users.

Faster Internet collects data such as motherboard, CPU, hard drives, network adapters serials, and other similar.

Besides this highly personal information, the adware literally crosses the line into malware behavior when it takes a secret screenshot of your active desktop windows, and then uploads it to an online server.

Full Article. Adware Program Takes Screenshot of Your Desktop and Uploads It Online

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
Yikes, it's probably a bundled thing. I can imagine how many people are thinking "Well, if it makes my internet faster - why not try it) :eek:. I hope this does not happen. Definitely moved past adware into malware. By uploading all PC specs, It seems like a perfect way to know exactly what vulns are needed. That's a scary thought. I hope they catch the author.

Reactions: kev216 and frogboy
L

LabZero

Generally it is possible to understand a malware is infecting our system when it triggers the detection of our anti-malware. But it is difficult, for us, to know what exactly does the malicious code. If we are going to analyze each malware, we would find many surprises.

Reactions: frogboy and kev216

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Taking a screenshot of the desktop and upload online is not a new symptoms and its matter of recycled symptom effects depend on the severity risks however its not an adware but rather spyware which on the Softpedia article include #spyware as tags.

Reactions: upnorth

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.