Alexa Guard rolling out for Echo US customers

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Amazon’s Alexa Guard feature is now rolling out in the US, following an invite-only preview that lasted a few months. This free update lets your Echo speaker listen for signs of danger in your home while you’re away. Sounds like glass breaking (caused by a burglar or a moody cat) or a smoke alarm going off will trigger Alexa to send out Smart Alerts consisting of audio clips. If your Echo has a built-in camera, it will show a direct video feed into your home.

In addition to listening, Alexa Guard can also mimic your daily smart light usage, switching the lights on and off to make it seem like you’re home. Amazon notes that Alexa Guard isn’t meant to be a replacement for an alarm system, and it isn’t able to alert authorities.

Find out more: Amazon.com Help: Alexa Guard Safety FAQs

Is Alexa Guard an alarm system?
No. Alexa Guard is not a replacement for an alarm system or life safety device and cannot contact emergency services, such as the police or fire department, on your behalf. Smart Alerts are provided for informational purposes only.

Will Alexa Guard contact emergency services for me?
No. Amazon cannot dispatch emergency authorities to your home in the event of an emergency

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
I was given an Echo Dot for Christmas and dislike using it because it records all commands said to it but, I have to say, this gives me a reason to at least have it on even if I don't use commands.

Reactions: upnorth and plat

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.