Alienware Stops Teasing, Officially Announces M11x R3, M14x, and M18x Laptops

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The countdown timer on Alienware's 'Discover' portal teasing visitors to "be the first to know" has finally reached zero. So what was the big news? An Alienware triple-play consisting of three new laptops designed to redefine mobile gaming. These include the enhanced Alienware M11x R3, the new M14x, and the soon to be available M18x.

"Our teams have designed these systems with the features that are most important to gamers -- uncompromised graphics performance, latency-free wireless HD streaming to HDTVs, and lifelike 3D gaming," Dell said in a blog post. "All three platforms offer the latest in gaming technology, and feature second-generation Intel Core i processors to deliver the most immersive high-performance gaming experience imaginable."

Maximum PC

Great for gamers who wants a gaming laptop.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
eXPerience said:
Good for gamers .... with lots of money ! =)

eXp

Yes, Alienware does build good systems, but you definitely pay a premium for the hardware. Their support is pretty good though. :)

I owned an Alienware many years ago. I don't know if they still do this, but part of the 'service' they would provide is to strip the OS of un-needed fluff to streamline your system towards gaming. Apparently one of the things they deemed necessary was dial-up networking. :mad: (Told you this was many years ago)

So I called tech-support to complain that out-of-the-box, this system could not connect to the internet. (So much for quality control xx-point testing...) Attempts to re-install dial-up networking failed, (they apparently really streamlined the OS...) so the only option the tech had was to reinstall Windows fresh from the OS CD. (The backup provided was obviously flawed as it had no networking installed) I wasn't very happy about this, as part of the reason I went with an Alienware system was for their 'streamlining'. The tech apparently had no idea what I was talking about, as they were outsourced and just general Windows tech support people. So my initial experience with the company was less than happy.

However, after owning the system for about 4 years, and after it was out of warranty, it stopped POSTing. After a few unsuccessful calls to tech support with various troubleshooting methods, I was doing some research and found that the mobo my system had a flawed chipset that was known to cause the exact issue I was experiencing. When I called and mentioned this, they told me to send the system in.

I wasn't expecting much because the system was out of warranty, but since it was built with the faulty mobo, they considered that to be covered.

So, they replaced the mobo, and in doing so, replaced and in fact, upgraded(!) my processor, RAM, modem, and HD! Basically everything except the case, free of charge! (They even paid shipping)

So I went from a somewhat hopelessly out of date 4 year old system, to a brand new system, that while not quite top of the line, was definitely competitive to current systems, and considerably better than what I had initially purchased! I was more than pleased with this.

So while I've never purchased another Alienware, I do feel they really stand behind the product they produce.

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
I have seen ads for many Alienware laptops (and wanted them), but generally I don't game much. If I did have a great computer, I would probably spend way too much time playing. :p

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Dell bought out Alienware over 5 year ago.

http://news.cnet.com/Dell-to-acquire-Alienware/2100-1003_3-6052842.html

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
Dieselman said:
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Dell bought out Alienware over 5 year ago.

http://news.cnet.com/Dell-to-acquire-Alienware/2100-1003_3-6052842.html
Yes the Wiki I posted says that.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.