All 7-11 Stores in Australia Deploy Facial Recognition

plat

Level 29
Thread author
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Excerpt from article:

"On advice from lawyers, the chain posted signs across their stores warning customers of the facial recognition software.

“Site is under constant video surveillance. By entering the store you consent to facial recognition cameras capturing and storing your image,” the sign reads.

In a statement to 7NEWS.com.au, a spokesperson said the software was to prevent “the system being gamed”.

“The use of facial recognition within the Rate It tablet is to ensure that the feedback is accurate and valid, and given customer feedback is so important to us we don’t want the system being ‘gamed’.

“The technology is not used for any other purpose.”"

From my Twitter feed:

A little background: 7-11 stores are convenience stores with long hours (used to be: open 7am to 11pm), selling sundries and hot/cold foods, coffee, beer etc.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
There is a store near my house that has no staff at night. In order to shop at the store, you need to register your face and personal information beforehand. I understand that it is necessary as a measure against theft as a store.🏪

plat

Level 29
Thread author
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Yeah, makes me squirm a little, who knows where it ends up. You have no control over it but others do.

I found this article listing some things that could be potentially concerning to a shopper having to contend with facial recognition. There's more articles on this too if you look around.

HOWEVER, if you happen to be limping and crawling in severe thirst on the side of the road in blistering 100 deg F/38 deg C heat deep in the wilds of the Outback and out of the shimmering distance, a 7-11 arises like a mirage, full of cold fresh Slurpees and icy water....well, what can you say? :D

Reactions: show-Zi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.