Alternative/questions reference Toolwiz Time Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
Hi, I have tested TTF and its not far away from what I am looking for as it provides system wide vitualisation when I test programs etc.

I have been using Sandboxie which is great and I still will use it but I was looking for something a little easier and system wide to simply switch between normal and virtual modes.

The only downside I see with TTF is that it reboots when you dont save whats in the virtual drive. Also I am not sure if upon shutdown the system is in protected mode, does it re-start in protected mode and does my AV still work within the virtual sandbox ?

Apologies but I am pretty much a novice.

Is there another similar program which works much the same as TTF without rebooting when switching between virtual and normal states when you you do not wish to save the modified data ?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Andy

Reactions: Dirk41
D

Deleted member 178

AMD1 said:
The only downside I see with TTF is that it reboots when you dont save whats in the virtual drive. Also I am not sure if upon shutdown the system is in protected mode, does it re-start in protected mode and does my AV still work within the virtual sandbox ?

Discard at reboot is the main purpose of System-wide virtualization softwares like TTF, Shadow Defender or Deep Freeze.

SD allow you to exclude folders so you can save your modified datas.

Is there another similar program which works much the same as TTF without rebooting when switching between virtual and normal states when you you do not wish to save the modified data ?

The only one i know to do this is "Diskshot" , a south-korean software but without english translation.

Reactions: Dirk41

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
Thanks Umbra Corp,

I read a review on this site that in the exclusions the SD definintions update should be included. Do I just include the whole program folder or a file within it ?

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
AMD1 said:
I read a review on this site that in the exclusions the SD definitions update should be included. Do I just include the whole program folder or a file within it ?

No need to exclude any SD folder, Light virtualization programs don't use definitions. Since you are going to use SD on demand, I suggest you do all program updates (like antiviruses) out of Shadow mode. After doing the updates you can enable protection.

Like I mentioned in your thread at Wilders, I exclude only places.sqlite in order to be able to save bookmarks in Firefox and my download folders. I think excluding that type of folders and files is the perfect way for using the feature. Even if I was using an antivirus or any other program that updates everyday, I wouldn't apply exclusions for that.

Bo

D

Deleted member 178

AMD1 said:
Thanks Umbra Corp,

I read a review on this site that in the exclusions the SD definintions update should be included. Do I just include the whole program folder or a file within it ?

For most of the AVs, all their folders. (only if you set SD to start shadow mode on every boot), if not it is not necessary.

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
AMD1 said:
Thanks Umbra Corp,

For most of the AVs, all their folders. (only if you set SD to start shadow mode on every boot), if not it is not necessary.

Thanks Umbra, I think I will use it on demand after updates have been installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.