Advice Request Am I crazy for wanting to use the Edge browser?!

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParaXY

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
I have been using Firefox 1.x for many many years. I stopped using IE when IE7 came out (couldn't stand the GUI). I don't use IE at all anymore. I use Chrome as a backup browser.

Since installing Windows 10 on my machine I haven't really considered using or trying out the new Edge browser. So last night I started reading up on it and experimenting. I like the sand boxing feature.

So I imported all my bookmarks from Firefox and added the Adblock Plus extension. I also installed the Roboform extension but I need to upgrade my version of Roboform before it'll work.

I then had Edge and Firefox side by side on my dual monitors and interestingly, they almost look the same!

There are some nice touches like setting tabs aside and pinning a tab. The one thing that is annoying is that you can't set new tabs to open to a specific URL...grrr.

I also have a folder of daily links I always open in Firefox (you right click the folder and select open all in tabs and every bookmark opens). I tried this in Edge and it worked too. If I do this in Edge it does use more memory though:
upload_2018-2-24_8-4-43.png

This is with about two dozen tabs. I don't mind the memory usage at all as I have 32GB and free memory is wasted memory!

So before trying Edge I hated it. Not sure why as I had hardly ever used it or given it a chance. Now I am now planning on using it for a month to see how it goes.

Am I crazy for joining the 2% of the market share that actually use Edge? Is Edge a waste of time? Is it more secure than Firefox? (I do use Chrome as a secondary browser but this is rare).

I'm interested to hear the forums thoughts on this!

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-24_7-58-51.png
    upload_2018-2-24_7-58-51.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 443

ParaXY

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
An update. So I caved and have reverted back to using Firefox again. I just find Youtube so sluggish and painful to use in Edge. If I do the same things in Firefox there is no lag or sluggishness. Go figure.

I may try this experiment again after I upgrade to 1803 when it is released.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

An update. So I caved and have reverted back to using Firefox again. I just find Youtube so sluggish and painful to use in Edge. If I do the same things in Firefox there is no lag or sluggishness. Go figure.

One weird thing I found using Edge is that every time I close Edge, a folder is created in my recycle bin called backups.

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011

Actually, everything related to Google doesn't work properly with Edge.

Reactions: Nestor

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Guys! Nano Adblocker is on Edge now! Freedom is around the corner!
Get Nano Adblocker - Microsoft Store

Now all we need is Nano Defender, HTTPS Everywhere and at least Decentraleyes/Local CDN and Searchonymous for Google.

Agreed. I just installed Nano Adblocker. The test drive so far is going nice. I use it in Advanced User Mode as I do uBlock in FF. I'm really beginning to like Edge more and more, other than for PDF reading. And it still doesn't have the privacy functionality of Firefox which remains my default.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.