Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Amazon has announced that it’s buying iRobot, the firm behind the Roomba vacuum. Under the deal, Amazon will pay $61 per share in an all-cash transaction, totalling $1.7 billion, including iRobot’s net debt. For the deal to complete, iRobot’s shareholders will need to agree to the deal and regulators will need to approve it.

iRobot’s CEO, Colin Angle, will stay on in his position following the completion of the deal. As he already knows the company, it allows Amazon to continue running iRobot without major headaches. The acquisition will further cement Amazon’s position in the smart home market too as its product range expands.

Commenting on the deal, Colin Angle, CEO at iRobot, said:
“Since we started iRobot, our team has been on a mission to create innovative, practical products that make customers’ lives easier, leading to inventions like the Roomba and iRobot OS. Amazon shares our passion for building thoughtful innovations that empower people to do more at home, and I cannot think of a better place for our team to continue our mission. I’m hugely excited to be a part of Amazon and to see what we can build together for customers in the years ahead.”

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I wonder how long it'll take until we hear about Amazon allowing advertisers and/or law enforcement access (warrantless, of course) to the maps of users' homes that Roombas create while cleaning.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.