AMD B450 chipset offers Crossfire, better overclocking to mainstream Ryzen users

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Motherboards sporting AMD’s new B450 chipset are now officially available and they upgrade the last generation B350 chipset with some exciting features that were previously exclusive to the X470 platform. Featuring support for multiple AMD graphics cards over Crossfire and its enhanced overclocking XFR2 feature, the new boards aren’t necessarily a worthy upgrade for those with existing Ryzen systems, but could be a new baseline for new Ryzen buyers in the future. One of the big features of AMD’s overarching Zen platform is that the two existing generations of processors use the same sockets. Where the last-generation B350 and X370 motherboards required a BIOS update to support the Ryzen 2000 series CPUs though, the new B450 chipset — like the x470 — supports the newer Zen+ CPUs right out of the gate.

In many ways, the B450 chipset is more like its more powerful X470 cousin than it is the B350 predecessor. It does share USB support with that older chipset (two x USB 3.1, six x USB 3.0, and six x USB 2.0), and both of them only have six PCIExpress 2.0 lanes, but in terms of SATA connections (six SATA III, two SATA Express) and features, it’s more like the X470. Both have support for multiple AMD graphics cards with Crossfire (no SLI on the B45) and they also support the new StoreMI feature, which lets users with SSDs and hard drives create their own caching drives from a pair, whereby all of the regularly accessed files are placed on the SSD and less commonly used files on the hard drive.

Full Report AMD B450 chipset offers Crossfire, better overclocking to mainstream Ryzen users

nclr11111

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
Yeah, they look really decent. Still haven´t made up my mind between B450 or X470. The B450 lacks a couple of features i´d like. For example Intel NIC and Realtek S1220A. Not saying realtek´s NIC is bad just liking Intels dito! Also haven´t had time to read more detailed about number of VRM´s etc. which might be a factor for some cheaper mobo´s.
Might change my mind after reading up for BF but for now ASUS Prime Pro x470 is on top of my wishlist crossed with an 2700x!

Reactions: RiderExpert

RiderExpert

Level 2
Verified
Jul 21, 2016
Yeah, they look really decent. Still haven´t made up my mind between B450 or X470. The B450 lacks a couple of features i´d like. For example Intel NIC and Realtek S1220A. Not saying realtek´s NIC is bad just liking Intels dito! Also haven´t had time to read more detailed about number of VRM´s etc. which might be a factor for some cheaper mobo´s.
Might change my mind after reading up for BF but for now ASUS Prime Pro x470 is on top of my wishlist crossed with an 2700x!

If you are planning on a non average overclocking, I'd go with the X470. In general, it should have better VRMs. But if you don't intend to do it (and in case you don't need X470 extra features) I'd go with B450. The performance you will get will be the same in both

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
It's not like these chips can overclock any good so selling me the idea of better overclocking is rather stupid. Add another m.2 slot instead and then we might have something to talk about.

nclr11111

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
Not looking to OC since the possible gains on Ryzen are close to 0. But still want a decent number of HQ VRM's and other parts for durability of the mobo. I'm not in the habit of changing my HW frequently so i want them to last. Using a X58 mobo with an Xeon X5680 from 2012 atm to give you some perspective, so I want HQ parts. :) Going to read up on the B450's. They might tick enough boxes for me to be worth considering after all. We'll see.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.