AMD CPUs remain more popular than Intel's among Puget Systems' workstation customers

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
What just happened? Custom PC builder Puget Systems has released its latest report on the distribution of Intel and AMD CPUs in the workstations it sells, and it's more good news for AMD. Team red's processors continue to be found in around six out of every ten systems sold by the company, which temporarily dropped AMD CPUs from its configurations in 2015 because they were so unpopular. As we all know, Lisa Su's firm has come a long way since then.

In its latest State of the CPU report, Puget System's William George writes that June saw AMD processors packed into 60% of the workstations it sold, while Intel's were in 40%. That's a one percent increase for AMD compared to February, and it looks as if Intel will lose more ground to its rival in July.

Another interesting stat is that 59% (32 in total) of the builder's recommended configurations are AMD workstations, while there are 22 Intel options, mirroring the pair's sales split. "The ratio there almost exactly matches the 60:40 split we are seeing these days in actual sales, which is fascinating since some of these systems are far more popular than others," writes George.

The rest and some charts

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Intel CPUs have one advantage for an emergency situation. As far as I am concerned, every Intel CPU except the F series has an integrated GPU which AMD CPU's doesn't have (Except the APUs). I know a guy who's financially not in a good state right now and a couple of days ago his Nvidia GPU suddenly died. He had an AMD Ryzen processor-based system and AMD processors are useless without an external GPU. The guy was literally crying because he needs a PC for his work but can't afford to buy a new GPU right now. Even second-hand GPUs are quite expensive here at the moment. If he was using an Intel CPU then at least he would've been able to use the PC.
Even I had a situation back in 2011 when my GPU died while I was playing the game, Mafia 2. I had to go for a while without a GPU but at least I was able to still use my PC.
I'm just sharing this here in case someone finds it helpful. Ryzen CPUs are better at the moment of course while Intel might come in handy on a rainy day.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.