Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hello guys,
I will soon need to buy a new desktop and was wondering if you guys could give me an opinion on which of the following systems should I go with (of course with an explanation .... don't just say "Go with Intel"... :p) . So here it goes:

System 1:
Procesor: AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core at 4000GHz
Chipset video: Radeon R9 280X with 3GB
RAM: 8 GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-UD3P
Case: RAIDMAX Super Helios Black
Price: 1170 US Dollar

System 2:
Procesor: Intel i7-4770K at 3.5 GHz
Chipset video: Gainward GeForce GTX 760 Phantom with 2GB
RAM: 8 GB
Motherboard: AsRock Z87 Extreme 4 Socket 1150
Case: Game Daemon 6001
Price: 1240 US Dollar

Last edited:

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
Pairing Intel processor with external amd graphics would be the best. Intel Cpu scores the best. AMD gpu is best for gpu computing.

Procesor:
Intel i7-4770K at 3.5 GHz
Chipset video: Radeon R9 280X with 3GB

Reactions: Jack

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Jack, may I ask what will be the purpose of this PC, so I can know what hardware to suggest? Do you plan to overclock?

Reactions: PVA_BR

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Jack, may I ask what will be the purpose of this PC, so I can know what hardware to suggest? Do you plan to overclock?
No, I most likely will not overclock it. I will use it mostly for gaming and running some AV tests within a VM. :D

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Then this is my suggestion:

CPU: i5-4670k (I have it, it's amazing and very powerfull processor, the beast. Perfect for gaming and everyday computer using. i7 needs 100€ more, but for your purpose it is a waste of money, because i5 will fulfill all your needs). Only little thing I do not like with this processor is noise, but I am planning to change its cooler of course. Don't get scared, noise level is normal, only sometimes with max setting in the games I can hear some strange sounds.

MB: This is really hard choice, because there are a lot very good motherboard to chose. Since you're not planning to overclock it, and the board you've chosen is extreme overclocker, I could recommend you this one:

Gigabyte G1.Sniper B5 (I have it too, I spent a lot of time searching for good one, and this one is the best one for its money. It is a very quality made motherboard, for gamers and even has the abilities for overclocking, but you aren't going to need it for a lot of time)

GPU: Nvidia is my choice, I cannot tell that AMD is bad, but Nvidia is better. Perfect optimization, amazing software, everything a truly gamer needs.

GPU I possess is ASUS GeForce® GTX 760 DirectCU II. Very quiet and cool, currently GTX760 is the best buy for people that have limited amount of money like me. There is no problem with any game even with max settings.

Since I already saved more than 100€ :p for you, I will surely pick GTX770 model. It is outstanding GPU, capable to perform any task with ease :)
But at the other side, I still think that GTX760 is the best buy and that currently GTX770 is only for 24/7 gamers and enthusiasts. It is much better choice to divert this money for SSD or better cooling.

So my suggestion will be
ASUS GeForce® GTX 760 DirectCU II

RAM memory: I think it is not important at all, choose any model they suggest you. 8GB is minimal and maximal amount you'll need. Of course if you're going to use several VM guests, then you should consider buying two 8GB modules.

SSD: SSD vs. HDD. SSD of course. You can use some old and cheap HDD for storage, but SSD is essential thing today. Main reason I still do not have it is because there is no model I would like to buy in Serbia. So I am patiently waiting.

My choice is Intel 530 Series 240GB

I really do not have to explain. I haven't heard for any bad product that was made by Intel so my only and one choice is this model. Do not buy older series, because they are more expensive and slower than this one.

Case/PSU: I am not going to spend the words for these two components. About PSU, just make sure to buy quality one like Seasonic for example. I have their model and I am thrilled.

This is my suggestion, ask anything you need :)

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Jack- One of the most important things that you wrote was that you won't overclock. If that's the case, you have not need to go for the K processor, nor with the Z series motherboards. I just built a new system a bit ago and one of the hardest things I had to do (as I also don't OC) was realize that all of the things that the K series CPU's and the Z series MB's excel at I wouldn't use.

So- my suggestion: please consider the Xeon 1240V3, a comparison can be found here:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E3-1240+v3+@+3.40GHz&id=1952

pair this with a H87 motherboard. The system will be very quick, the CPU (with a decent aftermarket heatsink and Fan- NEVER use the the junky heatsink boxed with any CPU) runs cool leading to a computer that will last and approach silence.

As to the motherboard brand choice, I know that the Asrock boards look good on paper. PLEASE first google "Asrock and bent pins". I wish I had.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I heard ASUS Mobo's are better? Is that true?

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Gigabyte and ASUS formed joint venture several years ago, and they surely share first place on the list of the most quality motherboards. I've heard the stories that ASUS has second class of components in their boards and that gigabyte is using the best components.

One thing is sure, Gigabyte and ASUS are the best.

Reactions: Ink

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I've always (almost) used Asus in the past, but as they are pushing their Sever boards for use with Xeon CPU's they refuse to make the consumer grade MB comparable with Xeon. I first decided on an Asrock board. I was initially concerned by the flexing that this board had (very thin PVC); my concern was warranted as after a week I wouldn't boot due to memory errors. Turns out the case of this was bent CPU pins which are NOT covered under warranty. As I stated above I wish I used friend Google.

After obsessing some more over brand choices, I went with a MSI board (H87-G43). High quality components and trouble free use. But if I were a gamer, perhaps the Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H would have been a better choice.

And Jack- you are shelling out a bit of cash on your system- DON'T use the bottom of the barrel cooler/fan that comes with the CPU!!!!!

Last edited:

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Gigabyte and ASUS formed joint venture several years ago, and they surely share first place on the list of the most quality motherboards. I've heard the stories that ASUS has second class of components in their boards and that gigabyte is using the best components.

One thing is sure, Gigabyte and ASUS are the best.

gigabyte is better then Asus. Asus motherboard gets heat up easily. Sadly i suing Ausus .In my country now Asus is less selling in market. Gigabyte is users first choice here coz of it's performance & stability . thnx :D

Reactions: TwinHeadedEagle

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I would just say what my good friend (software engineer) once said

AMD IS GREAT CPU DEVELOPER... BUT INTEL IS BETTER ;)
Same for nVidia

What is your budget?

Reactions: Venustus

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

Same for nVidia

What is your budget?
Around 1.200 US Dollars.......

SifhX

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2014

Same for nVidia

What is your budget?

This is for 8-10 years ago, now AMD, INTEL and NVIDIA are the same, when AMD release a new super GC , Nvidia reply ... when INTEL release a new CPU , AMD reply , they use same technology with some little differences

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
You're wrong, Intel has much better technology than AMD. Two generations better. What Intel accomplishes with 4 cores, AMD needs 8. AMD is good only in low budget category, where you get the best for its money, but in top category they cannot match with Intel.

Reactions: BoraMurdar

SifhX

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2014
You're wrong, Intel has much better technology than AMD. Two generations better. What Intel accomplishes with 4 cores, AMD needs 8. AMD is good only in low budget category, where you get the best for its money, but in top category they cannot match with Intel.
this is not my opinion but I respect yours

Reactions: TwinHeadedEagle
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.