AMD Ryzen 7000 is up to 31% faster than Intel’s best

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
AMD officially announced its Ryzen 7000 processors at Computex 2022. The chips are built on the new Zen 4 architecture, which AMD says is up to 31% faster than the best Intel processors in certain applications. Details are light for now, but AMD says the new range will be available this fall.

We didn’t get any specs or model names at Computex, but AMD still showed off its flagship 16-core chip rendering an image in Blender 31% faster than Intel’s Core i9-12900K. The company dipped its toes in gaming, as well, showing a pre-production 16-core chip running Ghostwire Tokyo while boosting around 5.5GHz. That’s without overclocking, as well.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Pay attention to this: "AMD says is up to 31% faster than the best Intel processors in certain applications."

AMD said that Ryzen 7000 (Zen 4) will be 15 % faster than previous generation (Ryzen 5000), this isnt a 15 % IPC uplift, it is considering the higher frequencies, so as it was announced it isnt that great and it will deliver almost the same performance level of Intel Alder Lake in most applications.

This isnt that great because Intel has Raptor Lake coming soon, thats what Ryzen 7000 will compete against ...

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Let’s also not forget AMD still is a somewhat less stable platform than Intel. I have and love a 5800x on an x570 board, but I have had more driver and bios issues with this setup than I ever had with my last few Intel systems. Great hardware, sometimes shaky firmware.

ExecutiveOrder

Level 2
Sep 21, 2021
AMD said that Ryzen 7000 (Zen 4) will be 15 % faster than previous generation (Ryzen 5000).
It's > 15% single thread only. AMD did demonstrate the CPU boosting up to 5.5 GHz, I'll assume this is the max boost without PBO, the previous generation max boost was 4.9 GHz, and thus minimum expected IPC gain is 2.4%.
1653374028646.png

I never saw AMD present a complete IPC gain graph like Intel did in the 10nm Ice Lake presentation (5-40% gain with an average of 18%), perhaps 9% for AMD based on this irrelevant data.

In this cherry-picked "certain application" = Blender, R9 5950X is already 11% faster than i9-12900K.
If all core clock is the same, the IPC gain on Blender is roughly 23%.
And if all core boost is increased the same amount as the single-core (12%), I'll expect the IPC gain of 12% on Blender (compared to Zen+ to Zen 2, 15% gain I think).
I highly doubt AMD will be able to retake the single-core crown in Cinebench R23. Power efficiency and gaming performance are still largely unknown.
Not sure if I calculated it right, I might be a little off. Alas, this is just my speculation.

Reactions: show-Zi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.