Mar 11, 2024
How it's used?
For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 11
On-device encryption
BitLocker Device Encryption for Windows
Log-in security
    • Biometrics (Windows Hello PIN, TouchID, Face, Iris, Fingerprint)
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
Update channels
Allow stable updates only
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Smart App Control
Off
Network firewall
Enabled
Real-time security
F-Secure Total
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
Windows Hybrid Harnening Light (Windows Hardening)
Windows Firewall Hardening Tool
O&O Shutup10+ (Privacy)
Adguard Desktop
Periodic malware scanners
Malwarebytes Premium (on demand only)
Noton Power Eraser
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Environment for malware testing
N/A
Browser(s) and extensions
Microsoft Edge (rarely used)
Firefox (Default)
F-Secure browser protection
Secure DNS
None
Desktop VPN
F-Secure Freedome
Password manager
Enpass paid version
F-Secure ID Protection - passwords & identity (not used)
Maintenance tools
Windows disk cleanup utility
Windows defragment and optimise drives utility
Wise Care 365 (used occasionally)
File and Photo backup
Onedrive
Active subscriptions
    • Microsoft 365 Personal 1TB
System recovery
Macrium reflect (paid version)
AOMEI Backupper (additional recovery option)
Backup of C Drive daily
Backup of external D(data) drive daily ( contains Onedrive folders)
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Working from home
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
Computer specs
Lenovo All in One
8GB RAM
SSD
AMD Ryzen 7 5700U with Radeon Graphics
Notable changes
WFC replaced with Firewall Hardening Tool
Password Manager changed from Roboform to Enpass
Windows Hybrid Hardening Light added
O&O Shutup+ added
What I'm looking for?

Looking for medium feedback.

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
Thanks,

I wasn't sure as the F-Secure extension sits very quietly in the background but the Malwarebytes Browser Guard has a count of items blocked.

Have removed Malwarebytes Browser Guard for now.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Thanks,

I wasn't sure as the F-Secure extension sits very quietly in the background but the Malwarebytes Browser Guard has a count of items blocked.

Have removed Malwarebytes Browser Guard for now.

Just to inform, Malwarebytes Browser Guard counts even for blocked ads, so that's probably the main reason why it shows more "activity..."

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
Just to inform, Malwarebytes Browser Guard counts even for blocked ads, so that's probably the main reason why it shows more "activity..."

Thanks that makes sense. It was just the F-Secure extension seems so quiet which is a good thing in a way.

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
One thing I am not sure of with F-Secure SAFE is the protection it provides for incoming emails and attachments, spam etc (not email address monitoring). With other products I have had these have had an Outlook add-in and something to manage good/spam email.

Presumably F-Secure is monitoring email activity but just does not have a spam filtering/logging facility ?

Comments appreciated thanks.

Reactions: Nevi and Venustus

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
Possibly looking to add one or a combination of Windows Firewall Control, Simple Windows Hardening and O&O ShutUp ?

Are any of the above overlapping with current set-up ?

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Possibly looking to add one or a combination of Windows Firewall Control, Simple Windows Hardening and O&O ShutUp ?

Is this overkill with current set-up ?
I'd choose either VoodooShield or Simple Windows Hardening.

F-Secure + Simple Windows Hardening + Windows Firewall Control seems like a nice combination to me. F-Secure has good signatures for PE-files as it is using Avira engine. Sadly the Avira engine is quite weak at detecting scripting malware, so Simple Windows Hardening is a nice addition in my opinion.

So it's up to you, but SWH + VoodooShield is overkill in my opinion and doesn't add any major value to your config.

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
I already have VoodooShield Pro running so I think I will stick with that.

Would WFC add much over the build it Windows Defender Firewall do you think ? I have never had a separate Firewall Program before as previously i have picked software suites with firewall protection built in.

Reactions: Kongo and M4RT1NE2

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I already have VoodooShield Pro running so I think I will stick with that.

Would WFC add much over the build it Windows Defender Firewall do you think ? I have never had a separate Firewall Program before as previously i have picked software suites with firewall protection built in.
I never really used WFC, I always used Firewall Hardening which is from the same developer as Simple Windows Hardening:

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
Just so I know,If I were to install Firewall Hardening and later uninstall it, do the firewall settings revert back to the default rules of the Windows Firewall ?

Reactions: Kongo

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Just so I know,If I were to install Firewall Hardening and later uninstall it, do the firewall settings revert back to the default rules of the Windows Firewall ?
It's portable so you don't have to install or uninstall anything.

When you launch the tool for the first time, there won't be any rules added. You can choose which ones you want to add on the right side. When you want to remove the rules again, you just need to click on the remove buttons:
Screenshot 2022-05-14 124158.png

In case you want to check wether the rules are applied, you can always proceed like this:

1. Access the Windows Security Center
2. Click on the Firewall tab
3. Click on advanced settings
4. Click on outbound rules
5. There you should see all the rules created by Firewall Hardening:
Screenshot 2022-05-14 124557.png

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
Thanks SecureKongo

I may well give the stand-alone version a try and see how I get on with it then. I just didn’t want to get myself in a mess but this looks fairly straightforward - I hope !

Reactions: Kongo and M4RT1NE2

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
I have Firewall Hardening on my PC now and have added Recommended H_C. Does recommended incorporate LOLBins and MS Office or do you add these separately as required ?

Reactions: M4RT1NE2 and Kongo

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I have Firewall Hardening on my PC now and have added Recommended H_C. Does recommended incorporate LOLBins and MS Office or do you add these separately as required ?
Better read all the information that is provided in the thread I sent you.

Here a short abstract:
The user can add/remove some predefined rules: 'LOLBins', 'MS Office', 'Adobe Acrobat Reader', 'Recommended H_C'. They are visible on the right of the application GUI.

« 'LOLBins' rules are related to Living Of The Land executables from system folders, which are known to be commonly abused by malc0ders.

« 'MS Office' and 'Adobe Acrobat Reader' rules are related to Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Equation Editor, and Acrobat Reader applications.

« 'Recommended H_C' is a part of 'LOLBins’. These rules are suited to users who installed the Hard_Configurator Windows hardening application and applied the <Recommended Settings>.

As you don't have Hard_Configurator installed, you should probably use the LOLBins rules. If you have any Microsoft Office software like Word or Excel installed, you can add the MS Office rules too. And if you are using Acrobat Reader, you can add those rules as well.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Thanks

I had a read of that thread but still wasn't sure after reading it !
No problem! if you still have any questions, just ask. I am pretty sure that you won't face any issues tho. After applying the rules you probably won't even notice any difference. (y)

One thing though... I'd recommend enabling the logging feature, so that you can check what's blocked.

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
No problem! if you still have any questions, just ask. I am pretty sure that you won't face any issues tho. After applying the rules you probably won't even notice any difference. (y)

One thing though... I'd recommend enabling the logging feature, so that you can check what's blocked.

Thanks and yes I spotted the logging feature and enabled it.

I have added LOLBins and MS Office

Last edited:
  • Applause
Reactions: Kongo

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.