Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
The Trump administration has discouraged government agencies from using a leading Russian cybersecurity firm’s software amid fears that the firm's products could serve as a Trojan horse for the Kremlin's hackers.

The General Services Administration said Tuesday that it had removed Kaspersky Lab from the approved list of vendors for two government-wide purchasing contracts that agencies use to acquire technology services.

“GSA’s priorities are to ensure the integrity and security of U.S. government systems and networks and evaluate products and services available on our contracts using supply chain risk management processes,” Donna Garland, a GSA spokeswoman, told POLITICO.

Agencies can still buy Kaspersky software outside the GSA contracts, but the process is more complex, and GSA's decision signaled a desire on the part of the administration to discourage the use of Kaspersky products.

Kaspersky has vehemently denied any connection to the Russian government, and strenuously objected to suggestions the Kremlin could use its products to spy on its American customers.

In a statement, the company said it “has no ties to any government” and “has never helped, nor will help, any government in the world with its cyberespionage efforts.”

“Kaspersky Lab believes it is completely unacceptable that the company is being unjustly accused without any hard evidence to back up these false allegations,” the company told POLITICO.

ABC News first reported Tuesday morning that the administration was considering blocking agencies from using Kaspersky software.

U.S. law enforcement and intelligence agencies have spent months investigating the possibility that Moscow could leverage its regulation of Russian companies to piggyback on Kaspersky products and breach American networks.

The Department of Homeland Security issued a secret report on Kaspersky in February, and the FBI has interviewed Kaspersky’s U.S. employees at their homes, according to ABC.

The Senate Intelligence Committee has also asked the Justice Department and the Office of the Director of National Intelligence — which oversees all intelligence agencies — to investigate the matter, ABC said. Committee lawmakers were briefed on the matter in late May, and Senate lawmakers recently added a provision to the annual defense policy bill that would bar the Pentagon from installing Kaspersky software.

Government leaders are particularly sensitive to Russia's cyber menace in light of recent allegations that Moscow has deployed its hackers to infiltrate networks operating America's critical infrastructure, including the power grid and election-related systems. The Kremlin has also been accused of orchestrating breaches at numerous government agencies, such as the State Department, White House and Pentagon.

Bloomberg reported Tuesday that Kaspersky had a close relationship with Russia’s Federal Security Service, or FSB, one of the two intelligence agencies that allegedly participated in the 2016 election cyberattacks. “It has developed security technology at the spy agency’s behest,” Bloomberg said, “and worked on joint projects the CEO knew would be embarrassing if made public.”

GSA said it had removed Kaspersky from the list of approved vendors in the agency’s Schedule 67 and Schedule 70 contracts, which cover digital imagery and IT services, respectively.

The ODNI declined to comment and the FBI did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
No real big surprise here, you could sort of see this coming eventually. :p
Yeah I agree Froggy, I think a big part of it too was Russia's (Kaspersky's) response initially.
I don't agree with this pissing contest, but the US never has responded well to threats, and Kaspersky's
initial response had vailed threats in there, you mix that with our current commander and chief being mainly ego
driven.
I hope they eventually work something out but it may have to wait till the current administration is out of office.
Thanks @kev216 for the great post ;)

Windows Defender Shill

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2017
Believe me I'm not anti Russian or anti-Kaspersky

But this does seem like a common sense approach in light of recent events.

Both nations reserve extreme doubts about one another.

I hope this doesn't deter any private citizen from purchasing the highly reliable Kaspersky in the future though.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
The US govt is totally overmatched when it comes to computers. Nobody with any authority knows anything about them, so they listen to M$ about who to hack and monitor. It was planet of the apes under the last administration and who knows what kinds of information was flying around in the democratic party, for example. I am not politically aligned, but it felt like thugs were getting away with murder to me.

There aren't very many character driven individuals involved in the computer industry who are also flag waving Americans. US govt. officials must wake up to this fact, find them, and work with them. Having your nuke power plants hacked is not initiative enough? I don't understand.

They've got Symantec and McAfee. Why don't they just find some people who know what they're doing and work with those companies to get what they need? How stupid was it for them to use Kaspersky in the first place? I mean, the Russians have competitive interests around the world that obviously will conflict with western interests at times. Who doesn't know this?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.