Among the two Anti Virus, which is better ? (Avira Free Vs FortiClient 5.4)

L

LabZero

Avira offers excellent results in detecting and removing malware.
Low system impact but protection against phishing sites is a bit poor.

FortiClient has improved a lot in recent years and now It provides a very good protection level.
As regards the additional features, it offers an effective web filter that helps protect from harmful content, suspicious and phishing URLs.
System impact appears to be on average level.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
It's always good to see people interested in Forticlient. Not many are and after using it for many months I can say it's a very effect product however the only default zero day protection is it's heuristics. While running a malicious file with Forticlient (version 5.2), if it didn't detect a connection or malicious files being dropped or in use after being unencrypted in RAM, the files run their course and does it's damage. I haven't tried version 5.4 in any tests but recently (version 5.4) they added integration for their Fortisandbox which I believe needs FortiOS to run. How any of it works I don't know unfortunately.

It's web blocking is top notch compared to most (very aggressive) and far more customizable. As for Avira Free ability to block unknown malware, I don't know. I don't even know if it has web blocking or if it's good or not for that matter. Avira don't run well without bugging out on my system (UI and real time not responding/load on boot). That might be a system specific problem as it worked fine on my older and weaker Intel system.

Another thing is, Forticlient won't delete things without telling you. Last time I used Avira Free, it deleted files without even a hint of what it did so I can't use it even if it did work well on my system. Avira Pro and Avira IS still has the options for user intervention however, Avira Free had them stripped out a few months ago. When a detection for Forticlient comes up (on by default in 5.4), you'll need to right click on the action to get a menu for the add to exclusions, etc.

An important thing for me personally is adware detection. Both Avira and Forticlient are better than most at detection of things like OpenCandy (Forticlient being the better one). I make that point because a lot of AV barely detect any if any at all adware. I find it very annoying since adware can cause symptoms like malware (as proved in my tests, and others coming to this site and being told of adware infections that cause high CPU usage).

If you use a VPN, make sure to turn off proxy avoidance web blocking in Forticlient otherwise you may encounter problems.

Last edited:

Kuttz

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
@OokamiCreed As you said FortiClient do have razor sharp web blocking feature which is a feature rarely seen on free AVs even on some paid options. I do think FortiClient 5.4 have that edge over Avira Free which is limited to file system shield. FortiClient seems like an underrated product for unknown reasons.

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
You can use both in conjunction, Fortinet detects any AV already present and offers to complement it disabling it's own antivirus feature, so you got the best of both: Avira's antivirus and Fortinet's web filter(and VPN).

Last edited:

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Sorry for offtopic.
I try to install Forticlient (in VirtualBox and on Win 7_x64) but got this error:

Clipboard01.jpg

I retry couple of time but it's doesn't work :cool:

RmG152

Level 12
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
My bote is for avira.
Avira:
+ One of the best pure AV.
+ Great Cloud.
+ Very low system impact.
- Premium spam.
- Slow deleting virus

Forticlien:
~tested on 5.2 and give me some problems, idk how performs now

My top "5" (only AV):
1. MSE(7)/WD(8,8.1,10).
2. Avira.
3. -----------
4. Avast (only with hardened mode on aggressive).
5. Sophos.

Reactions: kev216 and Kuttz

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Sorry for offtopic.
I try to install Forticlient (in VirtualBox and on Win 7_x64) but got this error:

View attachment 77935

I retry couple of time but it's doesn't work :cool:
Its probably an issue with the forticlient drivers and adapters. It installs with its VPN component network adapters and some drivers, so there might be an issue with your VM with that. I installed it a while ago in a VM and it worked without problems. Maybe a new fresh vm can help, or install all the extra services and drivers on your vm.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Yes, I run it as Admin.
I tested Fortinet before 1-2 year and it work OK, this time no-no.

Reactions: kev216

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
No problems on my side using Windows 7 Pro x64. Note that I have slip streamed updates into ISO so it has things like Framework 4.5, IE 11, major updates that provide stability and fixes, etc Also this VM is less than 1 hour old.

VirtualBox_Windows 7_10_12_2015_06_11_07.png

Reactions: Rishi and Kuttz

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.