An entomologist explains why not to kill spiders in your home

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Exodus 20:13 You shall not murder.

An entomologist explains why not to kill spiders in your home:

"I know it may be hard to convince you, but let me try: Don’t kill the next spider you see in your home.
Why? Because spiders are an important part of nature and our indoor ecosystem – as well as being fellow organisms in their own right.
My colleagues and I conducted a visual survey of 50 North Carolina homes to inventory just which arthropods live under our roofs. Every single house we visited was home to spiders. The most common species we encountered were cobweb spiders and cellar spiders.

Both build webs where they lie in wait for prey to get caught. Cellar spiders sometimes leave their webs to hunt other spiders on their turf, mimicking prey to catch their cousins for dinner.

Although they are generalist predators, apt to eat anything they can catch, spiders regularly capture nuisance pests and even disease-carrying insects – for example, mosquitoes. There’s even a species of jumping spider that prefers to eat blood-filled mosquitoes in African homes. So killing a spider doesn’t just cost the arachnid its life, it may take an important predator out of your home....

I know a few spider researchers who overcame their fear by observing and working with these fascinating creatures. If they can do it, so can you!" ...

-video on the website...

On educateinspirechange.org:
An entomologist explains why not to kill spiders in your home

Last edited:

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Yes, I understand that you are not too interested in the subject of spiders... ha hmm but in general (in General Chat...) I like them... when in the countryside there were some spiders in the kitchen, some of them, I named them by name... it was cool sometimes to see their behaviour, the fly hunting...OK. OK.

So in general I like all animals, don't like to kill...
I had met a lady, and I saw her behavior with the meat flies: she liked to kill them with her hand, to crush them with her bare hand... It was something really disgusting, believe me, but she didn't want to listen to my strong objections... Sure she was stronger than them, but attacking the weaker ones is lame, dumb and not honorable, of course...

Sure, you can learn a lot from animals, just by observing them.
Animals I think are better than men, because they don't lie...
Betty White - 'Animals don't lie. Animals don't criticize. If animals have moody days, they handle them better than humans do.'
Animals will take care of you - no questions asked.
No prejudices.
Read more:
19 Reasons You Think Animals Are Better Than People: 19 Reasons You Think Animals Are Better Than People

- Do animals think?
Scientists think that animals think: Scientists think that animals think

So what YOU think about, please?..

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Spiders are godly. I never kill them. The mere thought of killing a spider is an anathema. The large outdoor spiders--have you ever seen their webs in person? Works of art, they are.

If I see a spider in my apartment, I put her outside when it's sunny. I think most spiders are female, no? Spiders, snakes, rats, I like them. But I would not want to live in the same place with them, for sure.

:)
lead_720_405.jpg

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I'm with ya. I don't like to kill animals. And yep, I try to move insects from my house without killing them.

And animals -- like dogs -- are often more loyal than many people.

But animals do lie...

1578342178483.png

This harmless snake lies that he's a venomous snake by adopting the color pattern of a different snake.

1578342314096.png

This snake is lying -- that he's dead.

1578342548267.png

My dog (RIP) used to lie to me about needing to make a poo-poo :poop:..... when in actuality, he just wanted me to take him outside.

All that stated.... yeah, animals are probably better than mankind. 😺 🦊🦁🐱🐶🐵🦓🐼🐄🐿🦔

1578342847812.png
1578343052266.png

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I kill all black widows on site with malice. Our former and current house have had persistent gatherings of the like. If we didn’t have small children I may not have, but I take no chances. Other spiders are more live and let live.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I do not mind spiders as such, they help to get rid of insects, but I consider them illegal immigrants and I always deport them outside.
They seem to like crawling on my face at night or even crawling into my nose, not a very pleasant experience. They like dark spaces.

Last edited:

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
But I am going to hell in any case! :)
I do not believe that God sends you to Hell an Eternity for Killing a Spider, it would be an unjust God.
I do not have that God.:)

rats, I like them. But I would not want to live in the same place with them, for sure.
I can't even see the Rats, I feel a sense of disgust fear and I don't know what else I am able to run away and leave my House.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Aww, come now, Bribon. Don't you want to kiss this adorable little face? 🤣

118278.jpg

But seriously, rats are quite intelligent. But as with all bugs and critters, better they be in the streets and whatnot. There are agencies that can remove these critters humanely. That is what I would choose if it came down to it. Even the scariest, and yeah, black widows are plenty scary. 😰 But I respect the choices of others. It's a case-by-case type of thing, I bet.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Among spiders that live in Japan, this spider, which has a relatively large body, is a worker who lives in homes with pests and preys on them. Once the pests have been completely eliminated, they leave their homes looking for their next home. It's like a wandering gunman. Some Japanese citizens call this spider a sergeant.

I think that what humans learn from them is 'Do not judge everything just by appearance.' Same as the countermeasures for phishing sites.

[correlate]

Level 18
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019
I do not believe that God sends you to Hell an Eternity for Killing a Spider, it would be an unjust God.
I do not have that God.:)
I agree with you bribon77
God does not unite to send others to hell immortally
Maybe he will send us to the hospital, and the hospital (hell) stay time will vary according to the degree of sins . :) :devilish: .

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.