An old ms-dos(cmd) command that makes you(hopefully) smile

sepik

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
Hello,
I remember this ms-dos(command prompt) command from my MS-DOS era. Even today, i do not know what is the purpose of this.
Back in time when i was teeny-weeny, it was "funny" to trick my friends computers. Especially if you put it inside autoexec.bat.
So open the command prompt, then type:
set dircmd=j
then type:
dir

wow :giggle:

-sepik

sepik

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
Yeah, some MS-DOS era games were memory hungry, you need 630k base memory to even get the game start.
So you need to use in config.sys and autoexec.bat to load for example cd-rom, mouse etc drivers to "upper memory".
So by using EMM386 you need to specify, for example /I b7-b7ff memory block thats is reserved area for cga/hercules, so you can free it and put your cd-rom driver on that memory block...those were the times :D

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Yeah, some MS-DOS era games were memory hungry, you need 630k base memory to even get the game start.
So you need to use in config.sys and autoexec.bat to load for example cd-rom, mouse etc drivers to "upper memory".
So by using EMM386 you need to specify, for example /I b7-b7ff memory block thats is reserved area for cga/hercules, so you can free it and put your cd-rom driver on that memory block...those were the times :D
The worst was getting audio drivers to run.

Reactions: harlan4096

sepik

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
Yeah, but the gravis ultrasound was a killer souncard, its "Soundblaster" emulation uses a TSR, and you can load it to high memory.
Was crazy to play DOOM with soundblaster sound card, and then with the same with Gravis. If the game support Gravis directly, playing anything comsumes 0% cpu usage, because it was done by hardware. On the Soundblaster, it takes a lo cpu cycles, espesially when playing digital sound.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.