Android Apps and the Google Play Store Are Coming to Chrome OS

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Google has officially announced today that, starting June, future Chrome OS versions will come with support for the company's Google Play Store, with full support to be added later in the fall.

The news leaked in mid-April,when a Chromebook user spotted a work-in-progress option in the Chrome OS settings panel that allowed users to "enable Android apps to run on [their] Chromebook."

Google has just made it official today at its I/O 2016 developer conference, held in Mountain View.

Only a few devices will receive Play Store support in the beginning

"Google Play will start rolling out in the developer channel with M53 on the ASUS Chromebook Flip, the Acer Chromebook R 11 and the latest Chromebook Pixel," Google Chrome OS engineers have announced today. "Over time, this will roll out to other Chromebooks in the market too."

Once this happens, users will see a popup on their screen, asking them if they want to benefit from accessing the Play Store and installing Android apps on their Chromebook.

Users won't have to do anything except clicking "Accept." There will be no custom software to install and no hardware upgrades needed. Apps will work for Chromebooks devices that have touch support at first, but non-touch devices will also receive it later in the year, probably in the fall.

Chromebooks are very popular

Data compiled by Future Source Consulting last year revealed that Chromebooks arewildly popular in the educational sector, especially in the US. Furthermore, Google has also shown that Chromebooks topped Macs in overall shipments and became the second most popular PC operating system in the US.

Read more: Android Apps and the Google Play Store Are Coming to Chrome OS

Jrs30

Level 11
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
I really want to have a Chromebook, before even after this news! Spend hours away from Tomana already worth buying, I hope that soon I buy a Chromebook. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.