Android Apps with 5.8 million Installs Stealing Facebook Passwords

The_King

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Google intervened to remove nine Android apps downloaded more than 5.8 million times from the company's Play Store after the apps were caught furtively stealing users' Facebook login credentials.

"The applications were fully functional, which was supposed to weaken the vigilance of potential victims. With that, to access all of the apps' functions and, allegedly, to disable in-app ads, users were prompted to log into their Facebook accounts," researchers from Dr. Web said. "The advertisements inside some of the apps were indeed present, and this maneuver was intended to further encourage Android device owners to perform the required actions."

The offending apps masked their malicious intent by disguising as photo-editing, optimizer, fitness, and astrology programs, only to trick victims into logging into their Facebook accounts and hijack the entered credentials via a piece of JavaScript code received from an adversary-controlled server
The list of apps are as follows -

• PIP Photo (>5,000,000 installs)
  • Processing Photo (>500,000 installs)
  • Rubbish Cleaner (>100,000 installs)
  • Horoscope Daily (>100,000 installs)
  • Inwell Fitness (>100,000 installs)
  • App Lock Keep (50,000 installs)
  • Lockit Master (5,000 installs)
  • Horoscope Pi (>1,000 installs)
  • App Lock Manager (10 installs)

In the last link of the attack, the stolen information was exfiltrated to the server using the trojanized applications.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
How do people find these apps to install it on their system....
I can't say conclusive it's what happened here, as I also haven't read everything deep enough, but many times malicious apps and software are propagated/advertised with something called SEO poisoning ( Search Engine Poisoning ).
It's a cleaver way of getting search results higher up and seen faster.

Thiagoo

Level 3
May 10, 2021
Sometimes i feel like the app verification system on Play Store is either very bad and lazy or nonexistent. Every single year i see a bunch of news like that :unsure:

But like, it's not only Play Store verification that is bad, Android itself is way too insecure on my view, like still relying on outdated (and potentially vulnerable) libraries.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.