Android AVTest with only 3 AV's getting 100% Realtime Protection scores

mekelek

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Bitdefender Mobile Security, Norton Mobile Security and Sophos Mobile Security free only with 100%.
0617_Android_Dauer_scan_en.jpg

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I see that some free products performed really good especially Sophos

99.9% (RW) 100%(DS) for V3 is the same as 100%, and it's free now. I used to pay for it. V3 is very fast, slick, offers an abundance of useful features, web filters ALL browsers and offers a flashlight bar on your lock screen which I find invaluable.

Reactions: tonibalas

generalwu

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
Good to know those results.

Do you guys recommend to install an AV on my Android phone?
Does it affect performances?
I see some people installing it and some swear against it.
I only install apps from Play store if that helps.

Thanks. :D

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
looking at reports how many malware get their way onto the playstore and last enough to do damage, it's not assuring at all.
That's why I said "Well known apps", by that I meant at least 100 million downloads in playstore or I won't install it (except for apps by my ISP, my bank etc which are trusted enough). That much paranoid I am right now.:p

EASTER

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2017
99.9% (RW) 100%(DS) for V3 is the same as 100%, and it's free now. I used to pay for it. V3 is very fast, slick, offers an abundance of useful features, web filters ALL browsers and offers a flashlight bar on your lock screen which I find invaluable.

Appreciate that added info about the lock screen flashlight. I may want to test one for my own androids.

The mention from experience of it being fast w/abundance of features is worth a look on this end.

generalwu

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
Im using Emsisoft Mobile Security for over 1 year and can say, Im very happy with this product.

Thanks for the recommendation, will definitely look into it. :D

looking at reports how many malware get their way onto the playstore and last enough to do damage, it's not assuring at all.

That I agree, have you heard of famous apps (I.e. Millions of download) being compromised?

That's why I said "Well known apps", by that I meant at least 100 million downloads in playstore or I won't install it (except for apps by my ISP, my bank etc which are trusted enough). That much paranoid I am right now.:p

Do you know of any famous apps (I.e. Millions of download) being compromised?

Thanks. :)

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
i would not give any importance to this supposed 'endurance test'.

avtestorg seems like just another wannabe avcomparatives to me. avcomparatives has a reputation like no other.

as @mekelek has stated earlier downloading an app from the playstore does not guarantee it is malware free.

Prayag

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Mar 27, 2017
I use Jio security that is norton(with all features),with the exception that it is free.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Do you know of any famous apps (I.e. Millions of download) being compromised?
I heard of Judy malware, which reportedly compromised 36.5 Million users (at most). But the thing to note here is that it was not a single compromised app but actually more than dozens of them. Even then why the hell would I install "Judy Rapper Style" game :p

Reactions: Marko :)

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
My vote goes to no as I don't use any antivirus on my phone, I don't really need it. I always check apps that I install on my phone. All of smartphones I had never had any problems with viruses and malware at all.

If you're not downloading outside Play Store and you install only apps with good reviews and reasonable amount of required permissions, you have nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
My vote goes to no as I don't use any antivirus on my phone, I don't really need it. I always check apps that I install on my phone. All of smartphones I had never had any problems with viruses and malware at all.

If you're not downloading outside Play Store and you install only apps with good reviews and reasonable amount of required permissions, you have nothing to worry about.

That is how I feel and roll as well. I have tried a ton of different AV's on Android over the years. Never was infected at all. Most of them in my experience would just cause wakelocks and then battery drain. I don't see or feel the need to install AV on Android. Fear mongering is all that most of the companies are doing. Until I see legit threats out there that would have the possibility of infecting me, I am AV free on Android.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.